Any chance of getting SGO for young grandchildren, age 70 and single.

suncloud

Any chance of getting SGO for young grandchildren, age 70 and single.

Post by suncloud » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:36 pm

Help am feeling really worried Final court hearing in November but both Bps have failed parenting assessments. Friends SGO assessment not looking positive. I failed initial viability assessment but am hoping to get an ISW assessment as I really feel passionately about the two children not being adopted by strangers. I am 70 yrs old and a single grandparent but am in good health and I am sure I can look after them and provide a safe secure home for the next 16yrs. Any advice as to what else I can do to convince Judge to give me a chance. I love them so much.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Any chance of getting SGO for young grandchildren, age 70 and single.

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:15 pm

Dear suncloud

Thank you for your post.

I am sorry to read of your family’s difficult situation and from what you write you are more than keen to give your grandchildren a home. When a court is making a decision for a child or children it has to consider what is in the child’s best interest and which order (if any) might offer permanence and security for a child’s future, this could include returning to their parent (you say that this may not happen in your family’s case).

Despite your good health the court may think that in your forthcoming years you may not be as fit and healthy as you are today and any decisions made now for young children or toddlers should be designed to give them security until their 18th birthday (and beyond), from what you say about your age you may be 85 years or more by the time your grandchildren reach their majority.

Questions may arise about how a ‘mature’ person will meet the needs of demanding pre-school children through to teenagers. If such questions are asked you could say that you have a network of family and friends to support you - perhaps you could put together a list of who these people are. You may want to tell the independent SW about what you plan to offer the children if they come to live with you. It may be useful if you check where the nearest schools or nurseries are to your home and/or other facilities designed for children. I hope these ideas are useful.

Please also read our advice sheet about Care (and related) proceedings it will give you a better idea about how courts make decisions for children.

Best wishes

Suzie