kinship carer for grandchildren?

suncloud

kinship carer for grandchildren?

Post by suncloud » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:45 pm

First post on here but need advice please.

After a crisis situation with my daughter whom is a drug user I looked after my two grandchildren for nearly 3 weeks at the request of the Social worker. I was assessed as temporary foster carer. Unfortunately at that time I was unwell and really stressed from the crisis situation so that I told the Social worker I could not look after them for longer than 3 weeks. I am 70 yrs old and live alone and the children are 5yrs old and 2yrs old. They were then placed with foster carers.
Now my grandson is saying he wants to be with me, I feel healthier and more able to look after them now, is it possible to have them living with me whilst the court process is continuing.?
Any advice appreciated.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: kinship carer for grandchildren?

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:28 pm

Dear suncloud

Welcome to the family and friends discussion forum and thank you for posting. I am sorry it has taken some time to respond to your post.

I see that there has been a crisis in your family which has led to your grandchildren being placed in your care and you treated as a foster carer for a period of 3 weeks. Due to ill health, you informed the children’s social worker that you could not continue caring for the children and, as a result, the children were placed with foster carers.

As you are now feeling better you want to know if your grandson could return to your care during the court proceedings since grandson is asking to be back with you. Unfortunately, it not usually considered appropriate to move children too many times as it is unsettling for them. For your grandson to return to you and then at the end of the court to be moved again either to his mother, father or other long term carer would be a further move for him or them.

Although I understand that you now feel better and able to manage, I do not think the children will be with you during the court proceedings, unless the long term plan would be for them to be with you. Decisions are made on the basis of what is best for the child or children. You can of course speak with the social worker about this.

Best wishes

Suzie

suncloud

Re: kinship carer for grandchildren? Age and Single.

Post by suncloud » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:17 am

Thanks for your reply Suzie, I have now realised that moving them back would be more disruptive for them but I am now pursuing the chance to be a long term carer. As I am 70 yrs old and living alone it will be a battle but I feel it is worth it. Has anyone else experience of becoming kinship carer at this age and being a single parent?