s/g/o how long does it take to go thro

divadi2000

s/g/o how long does it take to go thro

Post by divadi2000 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:11 am

I am at the very beginning of starting the process of a s/g/o I have had my 2 grandaughters a year today and I'm lead to beleive there are different reasons stated before you can apply for s/g/o one of them been the children must have been with you for a year how long does the process take to go through before the court grants s/g/o? any advice would be greatly appreciated as this is all new and confusing to me Thanks

Piglets-House

Re: s/g/o how long does it take to go thro

Post by Piglets-House » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:31 am

From first hearing to end maybe 9-10 months it really depends on the case. I had my nephew from birth and applied straight away because I had mums permission to. Got the final order 9 months later. It only took that long because we had to have paternity test. The LA are notoriously slow at doing their bit of the assessment process and you have to give them 3 months notice of your intention to apply for an SGO but they don't always start their assessment of you until after a directions hearing when they are asked to do it by the judge. That takes in theory 10-12 weeks but I have heard people having to wait for months for assessment reports and CRB checks. You need to allow a year in total and although in theory it can be done quicker you are dealing with mulitple agencies and parents.

David Roth

Post by David Roth » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:12 am

divadi, you are right that as a relative of the child, you have the right to apply for an SGO without the leave of the court if the child has been living with you for at least a year.

The local authority is supposed to complete its report on yoru application within three months of your informing them about your application, although that timescale does slip sometimes.

You may find FRG's advice sheet 22 (Special guardianship - what's in it for carers?) useful to read through: http://frg.org.uk/advice_sheets.html

David R
FRG Policy Adviser
David Roth
FRG Policy Adviser

pollypocket

Post by pollypocket » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:30 am

Alot will depend on whether the case is contested. We applied for SGO (residence order first) in Sep 2010 and were awarded in Dec. We were supported by social services so that may make a difference.

We are aware of how quickly this went through for us but it is possible.

pp
pp

divadi2000

Post by divadi2000 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:19 pm

Thanks everyone!

divadi2000

Post by divadi2000 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:22 pm

Ive a feeling the kids mum will contest the s/g/o as shes telling folk now shes got a fella (whom is a waste of space with a criminal record) thats her sorted next the kids and saying theyll be back for this xmas...yeh right shes not seen them since last august.

sonny1966

Post by sonny1966 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:08 pm

We have an SGO for our niece. When the assessment process began, her parents insisted that they wanted contact with her twice a week. Social Services recommendation was twice per year!! When the parents realised that they weren't going to get their own way, they told SW that they wanted to fight to regain custody. When it was explained that they would have to sign up for a rehab programme (drink + drugs), undergo psychiatric counselling and then stay clean and sober for a prolonged period of time, submit to tests to prove their sobriety.....and all with no guarantee that the LO would go "home" if it wasn't judged to be in her best interests - they soon changed their minds again!!

They then decided they wanted their daughter adopting - basically "if we can't have her neither can you" attitude.
All this time, the LO was in our care and forming attachments. The Guardian and SW both strongly recommended that the SGO was granted and in the end the biological parents didn't even bother attending court or applying for a contact order.

My B-i-l (LO's Dad) has subsequently passed away (drugs overdose) and we have had various threats from Mum that she has a new partner / has changed / is sober etc and she is either going back to court for contact or coming over with police / social workers to get her daughter back. We have learnt, over time, to ignore her.

Sorry if thats a bit of a ramble but the point is that the parents, no matter how good their intentions are to change, can very rarely sustain that change for long enough to offer stabillity to their children. If they could then you wouldn't be advised to apply for an SGO in the first place.

Try not to worry, the chances are that what Mum wants this week won't be what she wants next week. The court process is lengthy and has to put the children's interests first. If they have already been with you for a year then she would have to put up a VERY strong case to get them back.

Mumof5
Mumof5

divadi2000

Post by divadi2000 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:53 pm

Thanks Irene and Sonny I know this is going to be a long hurtful road for all but the aim is the safety and security of the children they and myself have not seen mum since august 2010 and dad hasnt seen the kids for 15mths s/w said they will have to be contacted if s/g/o is going to be the way forward, my oldest grandaughter is 10 now and last week the s/w visited her in school and she got very upset when they spoke about her mum and dad saying she really doesnt care anymore as they dont bother about her! it breaks my heart to see a 10 yr old having to feel this way! hopefully she will come thro it all and not follow in her parents footsteps.

Emt2019

Post by Emt2019 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:57 pm

Hi I was reading your comment and really hit home I’m in the process of going through special guardianship order for my niece she has lived with myself and partner for a year in November 2019 she was placed in my care through a section 20 in November last year both LO mum and dad have had parental assessments and failed they have also had parental assessment aduntments and failed those too they have had psychiatric assessments and there not very good LO dad is not contesting but mum is we have a LAC review on the 1st October to ratify the plan with an IRO and then court on 10th October where all evidence and SGO assessments and conected careers assessment will have been filed and read we have also be approved by fostering panel in may 2019 as connected carers for my niece and be pre arrived my SGO panel just wondered if LO mum contest how low can it take to get the judges approval or decision. There has been a lot of failing in our case as a section 20 is only meant to run 7 weeks and were nearly a year in any advice or answer would be amazing x

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:00 pm

Dear Emt3019

Welcome the family and friends carers’ discussion board and thank you for your post. I am sorry that we were not able to respond to you sooner.

You are an approved family and friends foster carer for your niece and are willing to be obtain a Special Guardianship Order (SG0) for her which her father is supporting but her mother is not. Your niece’s legal status at the time of posting was that she was in a Section 20 voluntary placement with you. There is no specific legal timescale for how long a voluntary arrangement should be but it may be that your niece’s parents only agreed to this for a period of 7 weeks in which case the matter should have been brought before the court then.

You said that case was going to court on the 10th October so it may be that the situation is a lot clearer now. Do you have a solicitor helping you with this? I am not sure if the court hearing is specifically in relation to your application for a SGO or if it is a care proceedings hearing. The timescale will be different depending on which type of case it is; there is a strict 26 week timecale in care proceedings but if it is a SGO hearing the court will draw up a timetable for the case including the date for the next hearing/final hearing. The court will also consider what statements need to be prepared where there is disagreement and make a temporary order if need be.

Perhaps you would like to provide an updating post now that the initial hearing has happened? Sorry not to be able to provide a more specific response without fuller details but it may be that you are now fully aware of the court timescale following the recent hearing.

I hope you have been fully assessed in relation to your and your niece’s support needs and that you will be offered the right package of support. If you have any concerns about this please do seek further advice urgently. You can ring to speak with an adviser on our Freephone advice helpline by ringing 0808 8010266, Mon to Fri 9.30 a.m. to 3.00 p.m.

Have you had a copy of the local authority’s family and friends care policy? If not, you should be able to find it here.

I hope this helps.

With best wishes

Suzie