Address change

Mother2-3

Address change

Post by Mother2-3 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:09 pm

We have recently moved. We have SGO for LO for over 2 years and they’ve been with us almost 3, my question is do I have to inform SS that we’ve moved? We haven’t heard from them even though we’ve asked for helped and advice on a few occasions. Thanks all

Robin D

Re: Address change

Post by Robin D » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:21 pm

I am fairly confident that there is no requirement as, assuming there are no other orders in place, you have full PR. You should tell others with PR unless there is a safety issue. However, there is no harm in notifying Children Services of your new address just in case they need to contact you in the future.

No need to speak to the SW, just ring the main number and tell them you want to notify a change of address for you and the children.

If they say they don't need it, get the name of the person and keep a record of the date and time of the call. Hopefully never needed, but we have been glad of such records years after the event when someone says ... You should have told us.

Good luck ... Robin
Former F&F carer, foster carer, adopter and respite carer for umpteen children. Now retired and when with kids, making sure they 'go home' at the end of the day.

Mother2-3

Post by Mother2-3 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:46 pm

Can I ask what you would deem as a safety issue please?

Robin D

Post by Robin D » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:38 am

If for the instance there is any risk that one of the birth parents would abduct the children, or there is an order in place, preventing the coming to your address.
Former F&F carer, foster carer, adopter and respite carer for umpteen children. Now retired and when with kids, making sure they 'go home' at the end of the day.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:00 am

Dear Mother2-3,

My name is Suzie, online adviser at Family Rights Group. Thank you for your post and sorry for the delay in responding.
As Robin has already stated in most cases there is no obligation for you to provide the local authority with your change of address, however the exception is if you are in receipt of any financial support, even if this is periodic. In which case you do need to notify them of any address change and failure to do so may mean that you do not receive any payments.

I would suggest that it might be a good idea to update them anyway, as Robin suggested.

I hope this helps.
Best Wishes,
Suzie