SGO application and Medical

keefn164

SGO application and Medical

Post by keefn164 » Thu May 21, 2020 11:38 am

We currently care for my partners great grandchildren, the oldest child has lived with us along with his mother since July 2016. Her granddaughter then had a second child on August 2019. Unfortunately, Her granddaughter unexpectedly passed away 11 days after the birth (*August 2019) at the age of 20. We have been caring for the children since then at the request of Children's Services, who have advised us to apply for an SGO.
We are both retired, and whilst my partner is healthy, I do have several ailments that I have had for a number of years - through my later working life until now. Whilst the illnesses could be declared serious they are not, in my opinion life threatening. I had no time off work through these illnesses and my GP considers them under control.
Would I be wise in removing my name from the SGO application and leave her to apply as the main carer ? . I have seen cases where people have been declared unfit to be an SGO by the Courts medical advisers. I would hate to see my partner being denied the right to look after the children who have been with us since birth.

Kind regards
Keefn164

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: SGO application and Medical

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:10 pm

Dear Keefn164,

Welcome to the Friends and Family carers forum. My name is Suzie and I am FRG’s online adviser.

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your partner’s granddaughter. That must have been very difficult for your family.

I can see that you and your partner have been asked by children services to apply for special guardianship orders (SGO’s) in respect of your partner’s great grandchildren. You have both been caring for them since the death of their mother.

Your question is whether you should remove your name from the special guardianship order applications as you have health needs.
I assume children services have undertaken the SGO report and so will be aware that you are living at home together and raising the children as a couple. It would be unusual in these circumstances to remove your name from the application and the court would question why.
I think it is best to be upfront about your medical conditions with the social worker, if you have not yet done so. It sounds like your medical condition does not get in the way of your parenting. You could get a note from doctor confirming that.
You could also seek legal advice about your application. Children services have a “power” to pay towards your legal costs and this is not means tested. A power means they do not have to pay towards your costs but it is certainly worth asking whether your local authority will. Ask the social worker about this.
You may also be able to get support such as an SGO allowance and other support. You should ask the social worker for an assessment for support-before the SGO's are granted by the court. The pressure of a court application can be helpful when you are seeking support from a local authority.
Please see page 38 of our advice sheet 19 DIY SGO’s] which details the type of support that may be available.

I hope my advice helps but if you have any questions please do not hesitate to post again or you could call our advice line on 0808 801 0366.

Best wishes,
Suzie

keefn164

Re: SGO application and Medical

Post by keefn164 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:21 am

Hi Suzie

Many thanks for the information - it certainly gives me confidence to leave my name on the application. I have made our Childrens Services officer aware of my health condition and she is of the same opinion as yourself.
The children have actually lived with us from birth. W*** helped her granddaughter to raise them, as she had considerable bouts of ill health and needed assistance to cope with the children.
Again, many thanks for your advice.

kind regards
K***

(*edited by Suzie to ensure confidentiality)