Prohibition order against aunt?

TLDW

Prohibition order against aunt?

Post by TLDW » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:59 pm

Hello,
I'm looking for advice/knowledge on this issue please?
Brief history... My sister had her children taken off her, the dad was given full custody and after court proceedings she eventually was given access through a court order, so she has the children every weekend and half the holidays.
As the children's auntie I like to every few months have the kids to stay with me and my partner, this is over the weekend usually and now the father is saying he is going to get a prohibition order in place so the children can't leave the area they are from, in other words so they can't stay with me?
Can he do this, without good cause?
Thank you

Robin D

Re: Prohibition order against aunt?

Post by Robin D » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:40 pm

Courts rarely make any order unless the child's welfare is likely to be affected without the order being made. However, he has every day control of the children, and can make decisions about who the children see. You could apply to a court yourself for contact, but think very long and very hard before doing so as its a) a money pit and b) can create all sorts of issues with the parent looking after the children.
Former F&F carer, foster carer, adopter and respite carer for umpteen children. Now retired and when with kids, making sure they 'go home' at the end of the day.

TLDW

Post by TLDW » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:42 am

Thank you Robin.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:30 pm

Dear TLDW

Thank you for your post, I am sorry for the delay in responding.

Robin D is correct, parents (or others with parental responsibility) can decide who has contact with their children. There is the Child Arrangements Order route as Robin D says, here is our advice sheet about that process.

Best wishes

Suzie