Children guardian

Nannyloves2

Children guardian

Post by Nannyloves2 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:47 pm

Hi I've been assessed for sgo and got a positive. I've since received a call from the children guardian. She said she needs to come to my home to speak to husband and I. Is this part of the process?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Children guardian

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:05 pm

Dear Nannyloves2

Thank you for posting and welcome to the family and friends carers discussion board. My name is Suzie, online adviser at Family Rights Group.

It is really good that you have had a positive assessment for a special guardianship order.

You want to know if it is part of the process for the children’s guardian to visit your home to speak to you and your husband. The short answer is yes. The children’s guardian’s role is to consider the welfare of children and report to the court. It is important that the guardian supports a placement with you and your husband as being a good one for the children concerned. The guardian represents the interests of the children and their views carries a lot of weight with the judge.

If a judge makes a decision which rejects the guardian’s recommendation the judge has to gives his or her reasons for doing so.
Please read our advice sheets relating to DIY Special Guardianship Orders - information for family and friends carers and Care (and related) proceedings which will give you more information about the order you are hoping to have made in your favour and the proceedings.

I hope this is helpful but if you wish to speak to an adviser you can telephone our free confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366. the advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday.

Best wishes

Suzie

Nannyloves2

Post by Nannyloves2 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:43 pm

Hi Suzie, thank you so much.
I'll keep you posted.

Nannyloves2

Post by Nannyloves2 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:51 pm

Had our meeting with guardian.
And she informed us we've got her full support.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:38 pm

Dear Nannyloves2

Thank you very much for keeping me updated and I am really pleased for you that, having met with the Guardian, she is supporting you for the special guardianship order.

Hope all will continue to go well.

Best wishes

Suzie

Nannyloves2

Post by Nannyloves2 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:36 pm

Been back to court and children are coming to me on a child arrangement order and supervision order until sgo can be put into place next court date.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:59 pm

Dear Nannyloves2

Thank you for your updating post.

I see that you have agreed to have your grandchildren on a child arrangement order with supervision order and for special guardian order to be made later on.

Having a child arrangement order before the special guardianship order is made means that the children will not be 'looked after' children when the special guardianship order is made. This means that the local authority do not have to carry out an assessment for support but has a discretion to do so. The benefits (e.g. school place, further and higher education help as well as support when they reach 18) to the children of being looked after before the special guardianship order will not be available to the children. Please see our advice sheet DIY Special Guardianship Orders - information for family and friends carers see pages 27 and 41 onwards. You may also find it helpful to read Support for relatives and friends who are looking after someone else’s child

It is not clear whether you have already been assessed for a support package for the children so this is something that you will need to discuss with children's services. Did you have legal advice before agreeing to have the child arrangement order? If not, it might have been more helpful to you in making an informed decision about agreeing to the order. It would have been possible for you to care for the children under an interim care order until the special guardianship order is made.

I am sure that you are very happy to have your grandchildren in your care and hope that things will go well for you all.

Should you wish to speak to an adviser, please telephone our advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday.

Best wishes

Suzie

Nannyloves2

Post by Nannyloves2 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:51 pm

Hi, finances was arranged today although the special guardianship isn't being put into place until next court date the payments that was agreed are to commence from today.
Once special guardianship has been granted the payments will continue as set out in the financial support plan.
I was legally represented in court and no stone was left unturned.
The judge also pre warned the local authority that under no circumstances are any payments to be delayed.
So far so good.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:45 am

Dear Nannyloves2

I am really pleased that everything is in place and there will be no issues with the special guardianship allowance. The concern was that often some special guardians feel unsupported financially and otherwise once they have the order. The fact that you were legally represented means your solicitor was able to make sure that your position and that of the children was secured. It is good to see that the local authority you are dealing with is being supportive and ensuring that the children's needs will be met in the placement.

I hope all will go well for you and your grandchildren from now on.

Best wishes

Suzie

Nannyloves2

Post by Nannyloves2 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:42 pm

Thank you