moving from fostercare to forever home

mamma

moving from fostercare to forever home

Post by mamma » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:48 pm

Hi i live 90 miles away from g/s if im allowed him to live with me. How will s/s manage the move?

mamma

Re: moving from fostercare to forever home

Post by mamma » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:57 pm

straight away or is there process like i go to bath and put them to bed in foster carers house, s/w worker said it can take 6 to 8 weeks i feel this is abit cruel

mamma

Post by mamma » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:03 pm

he will be 9 months of age irene

David Roth

Post by David Roth » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:31 am

Mamma, the social worker may have been referring to the transitional period that takes place when children are moving from foster carers to adopters.

In that instance, children (particularly older children) are aware that they are moving to people who are going to become their legal parents, but who are previously unknown to them. They do go through an introductory period like the one you described - visiting the child at their foster home, taking them out, the child coming to visit you, perhaps with the foster carers staying in the first instance to help them feel safe, then the child spending more time alone with you, staying overnight, until everybody feels the child is ready to move in.

For older children, this can happen over a period of weeks, but for babies it can be as short as a week, maybe two.

The social worker who spoke to you may have had experience of moving an older child, but not a baby. You may do better to speak to a social worker from the Permanency Team, who would normally organise this transition period. Most authorities in this field would say that 6-8 weeks is far too long for the moving-in of a 9 month old. If the local authority continues to suggest that it will take this long, you could perhaps speak to BAAF (British Association for Adoption & Fostering) who are acknowledged national experts in adoption and permanency. They do offer advice to members of the public: http://www.baaf.org.uk/info/advice
David Roth
FRG Policy Adviser

mamma

Post by mamma » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:14 pm

thankyou irene and david