Staying together?

Jacinta, FRG Adviser

Staying together?

Postby Jacinta, FRG Adviser » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:47 pm

I am working with a family where the mum and dad want to stay together. As a social worker I am worried about this as I am aware that there has been some "low level" concerns about domestic violence that the couple have not really addressed. There are definite strengths in the family too; both parents are involved in caring for their children who are doing well in many ways. We are working with a child in need plan. What can I do to make sure there is no further domestic violence so that the family can safely stay together?
Jacinta, FRG Adviser

mrainfo

Re: Staying together?

Postby mrainfo » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:23 pm

Ultimately it is really important to listen to what the family are saying and seek to empower them through an exploration of how they can improve their communication and eradicate the need for conflict situations to end up in domestic incidents. Explore with them what are the trigger points to these 'low level' disputes. A systemic way of working with families is really powerful, explore the concept of patterns within the family both on the paternal and the maternal side of the family. The concept of 'safe uncertainty' is an interesting one and I invite you to explore this when posing the question 'what can you do'. Reframe that to pose the question 'what can they do'. 'what needs to be different'. 'what will change look like for the family, outside of the obvious.

Return to “Domestic violence and child welfare: practice dilemmas”