Whether the court can look at your complaint

You may be able to use a legal procedure called Judicial Review. This would mean you could ask the High Court to look at Children’s Services actions in relation to their involvement with you and your child and see if they have complied with the law.

You can normally only apply to the court for Judicial Review once you have been through all of Children’s Services complaints process and complained to the Local Government Ombudsman.

The judge cannot change Children’s Services decision but it can ask for a new decision and ask Children’s Services to follow its procedures properly.

This is a complicated area of the law. For more information, contact our advice line or look at Advice Sheet 25: Challenging decisions and making complaints.


Contact Us

The Print House, 18 Ashwin Street
London E8 3DL

For advice, please contact:
0808 801 0366
(from 9:30am to 3pm Mon-Fri)

For administrative queries,
please contact: