How to make a complaint

It is a good idea to put your complaint in writing and be clear about what you think is wrong and what you think needs to be done to improve the situation. You could ask a friend to help you with this.

But if you don’t want to put it in writing yourself, you can make your complaint just by telling your child’s social worker or their manager that you want to make a complaint. Just be sure to say that you want it treated as a “formal” complaint.

You should make your complaint within a year of the event complained about. But a late complaint can still be looked at if there was a good reason for not making it within a year.

Here are some tips about making a complaint:

  • Say at the beginning of the letter that you would like your concerns to be treated as a formal complaint
  • You will need to say what you are complaining about, describe what has happened and why you think this has caused a problem for your child. Then write down what you would like to happen next.
  • It is a good idea to just write about the most important parts of your complaint. If your letter is too long it may be hard for people to understand your concerns.
    o Try and stick to the facts of the situation and try not to make things personal or emotional.
    o You could write a list of smaller mistakes in a separate, attached letter (like the wrong name or date of birth).





Contact Us

The Print House, 18 Ashwin Street
London E8 3DL

For advice, please contact:
0808 801 0366
(from 9:30am to 3pm Mon-Fri)

For administrative queries,
please contact: