How your child’s views are heard

1. Your child should have a children's guardian who works for CAFCASS (Children and Family Court Advisory Support Services). The guardian’s job is to find out about your child’s situation on behalf of the court.

They will talk to:

  • your child (if your child is old enough), and
  • talk to you,
  • your child’s family,
  • the social worker and
  • everyone else who is involved in the court proceedings.

The guardian will then write a report for the court setting out the information they have gathered about your child and giving an opinion about where your child should live in the long term.

2. The guardian will also involve a solicitor to represent your child.

  • If your child is young, the guardian will normally tell the solicitor what to say in court on behalf of your child.
  • If your child is older, the solicitor should speak to your child and then give your child’s views directly to the court.

If your child disagrees with the guardian’s view of what is best for them, the solicitor must work directly with your child and represent their views (not the guardian’s) in court.