Support for your child

As a parent, you remain financially responsible for your child while your child is living with someone else.  So you should give the carer money to look after your child and you and the carer should decide how that will work. It will be useful for you and the child’s carer to get specialist benefits advice because any benefits and tax credits you have been getting for your child should transfer to your child’s carer.

Children’s services may be able to give some financial support if your child is vulnerable. If your child needs extra support, you, or the person your child is staying with, can ask to have the child’s needs assessed for Family Support.