What can happen in an emergency

1. If there is an emergency situation the social worker may apply to the Court for an emergency protection order.

But if there is an immediate risk to your child and they don't have time to apply to court, they could ask the police to take your child can be taken to a safe place by the police for up to 72 hours (this is called police protection). This police power is rarely used. To find out more go to our EPO section.

2. If social workers believe your child is in immediate danger because they are living with a particular person, then they can also ask that person to leave the house and the social worker can help them to find somewhere else to stay.

However, for this arrangement to work social workers will need to trust that you will make sure that person doesn't have any contact with your child and you will need to formally agree to this.


Contact Us

The Print House, 18 Ashwin Street
London E8 3DL

For advice, please contact:
0808 801 0366
(from 9:30am to 3pm Mon-Fri)

For administrative queries,
please contact: