I'm having a baby with a sex offender

Y12GT

Re: I'm having a baby with a sex offender

Post by Y12GT » Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:02 pm

I’m 20 and have a 3 year old (not in my care {SGO}) I’m not in a relationship and my partner is on the sex offenders register he’s been on there for roughly 2 years and he’s got around 8 left. We’re talking and thinking about having a child together. I’m just wondering if anyone has any advice or knowledge. I’m stuck in a really bad place at the moment and could use some insight.

Need help 2021

Post by Need help 2021 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:16 pm

Hey hun has he got kids from from before and is he allowed to be around your child .

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:18 am

Dear Y12GT

Thank you for your post. My name is Suzie, I am an online adviser and will be responding to you today. I am sorry to hear you are ‘stuck’ in a ‘really bad’ place now. It must be a difficult and stressful time for you. I would advise you to seek support and advice from your GP if you are feeling overwhelmed and pressured in any way. If you do not feel comfortable contacting your GP there are other services available such as MIND and talking therapy services.

You have a three-year-old child who is not in your care. This child is being cared for under a . special guardianship order (sgo). You say you are not in a relationship but also that your partner is a sex offender and placed on the sex offenders register for 10 years. You are thinking of starting a family together and seeking advice on the possible implications of doing so given your partner’s offences.

Children’s services will complete a pre birth assessment. This will incorporate historical and current information and will assess strengths and difficulties regarding your situation. I have added information and guidance HERE regarding this process. I have further added information and guidance HERE in respect of what to expect when there has been previous children’s services involvement.

Children’s services will be concerned about your partner’s convictions. They will need to complete a risk assessment to ascertain what level of risk he presents to you, the unborn and the child.

You do not say why your partner is on the sex offenders register and whether this relates to adults or children. I have added information HERE from the Lucy Faithfull Foundation. This organisation offers support to family members and perpetrators of sexual abuse to children. It has a section called Parents Protect which has information and advice for all adults on how to protect children from sexual abuse and exploitation. It's aim is to help parents and carers better protect children from sexual abuse.

You may also wish to contact children services in your area to discuss your situation with them. They will be able to provide information and guidance in respect of their level of concern. To reach them you would need to contact the local authority’s children’s services department in your region. This information can be found online by using an internet search.

I hope you find the information provide helpful. Should you wish to speak to an adviser please call our free advice line on 0808 801 0366 (Mon to Fri 9.30a.m. – 3.00p.m) excluding bank holidays. We also have a webchat service you can access. It provides ‘live’ advice from an adviser (not a bot) and can help you to find information and advice on our website. Alternatively, you can of course post again on here.

Best wishes, Suzie

Y12GT

Post by Y12GT » Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:11 pm

Need help 2021 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:16 pm Hey hun has he got kids from from before and is he allowed to be around your child .
He has one child who was put up for adoption during his court sentencing. And he’s not allowed to see my son now as my son is only allowed to see me on allocated days so social services do not want to introduce anyone new into his life. We’ve only been in an official relationship for 6 months but we’ve had a thing for the last 3 years. I trust him completely. But I’m just worried about going through everything to be told I can’t have the baby in my care.

Y12GT

Post by Y12GT » Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:15 pm

Suzie, FRG Adviser wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:18 am Dear Y12GT

Thank you for your post. My name is Suzie, I am an online adviser and will be responding to you today. I am sorry to hear you are ‘stuck’ in a ‘really bad’ place now. It must be a difficult and stressful time for you. I would advise you to seek support and advice from your GP if you are feeling overwhelmed and pressured in any way. If you do not feel comfortable contacting your GP there are other services available such as MIND and talking therapy services.

You have a three-year-old child who is not in your care. This child is being cared for under a . special guardianship order (sgo). You say you are not in a relationship but also that your partner is a sex offender and placed on the sex offenders register for 10 years. You are thinking of starting a family together and seeking advice on the possible implications of doing so given your partner’s offences.

Children’s services will complete a pre birth assessment. This will incorporate historical and current information and will assess strengths and difficulties regarding your situation. I have added information and guidance HERE regarding this process. I have further added information and guidance HERE in respect of what to expect when there has been previous children’s services involvement.

Children’s services will be concerned about your partner’s convictions. They will need to complete a risk assessment to ascertain what level of risk he presents to you, the unborn and the child.

You do not say why your partner is on the sex offenders register and whether this relates to adults or children. I have added information HERE from the Lucy Faithfull Foundation. This organisation offers support to family members and perpetrators of sexual abuse to children. It has a section called Parents Protect which has information and advice for all adults on how to protect children from sexual abuse and exploitation. It's aim is to help parents and carers better protect children from sexual abuse.

You may also wish to contact children services in your area to discuss your situation with them. They will be able to provide information and guidance in respect of their level of concern. To reach them you would need to contact the local authority’s children’s services department in your region. This information can be found online by using an internet search.

I hope you find the information provide helpful. Should you wish to speak to an adviser please call our free advice line on 0808 801 0366 (Mon to Fri 9.30a.m. – 3.00p.m) excluding bank holidays. We also have a webchat service you can access. It provides ‘live’ advice from an adviser (not a bot) and can help you to find information and advice on our website. Alternatively, you can of course post again on here.

Best wishes, Suzie

Hi suzie sorry it’s supposed to say I’m now in a relationship. And as for his conviction when he was 16 he spoke to a girl on a dating type of app and she claimed to be 15 but she was actually 14 me met up with her and they kissed but then he found out she was 14 and ended their interactions. 2 years later she filed for a court order to get him arrested for it. He was then convicted once he turned 20 and he’s now 22.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed May 03, 2023 10:52 am

Y12GT wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:15 pm
Suzie, FRG Adviser wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:18 am Dear Y12GT

Best wishes, Suzie

Hi suzie sorry it’s supposed to say I’m now in a relationship. And as for his conviction when he was 16 he spoke to a girl on a dating type of app and she claimed to be 15 but she was actually 14 me met up with her and they kissed but then he found out she was 14 and ended their interactions. 2 years later she filed for a court order to get him arrested for it. He was then convicted once he turned 20 and he’s now 22.
Dear Y12GT

Thank you for the update and correction. I think however, that my original response may still be applicable to you. Do explore the links that I sent.

Best wishes

Suzie