relationship with kids

love2022

relationship with kids

Post by love2022 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:06 am

hello Mums and dads,

i have two girls age 12 and 8, been removed two years ago, and i see them fortnightly 2 hours. they have settled in placement, at same time our relationship is in danger. i am a single mum, would like to get me kids to come back to me asap. 1st step is strengthening our bond. just wondering whether anyone can give some idea to improve our relationship in the 2 hours contact time? any advice will be appreciated. many thanks for your time.

ZXLP88

Re: relationship with kids

Post by ZXLP88 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:05 am

when you meet with them, you can talk about their interests, hobbies, and feelings. listen attentively and show genuine interest. you can offer hugs to express your love and pride on them. most important is to create a safe space where they feel comfortable sharing their thoughts and feelings without fear of judgment. Let your daughters know they can always come to you with any concerns or questions they may have.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: relationship with kids

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:12 pm

love2022 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:06 am hello Mums and dads,

i have two girls age 12 and 8, been removed two years ago, and i see them fortnightly 2 hours. they have settled in placement, at same time our relationship is in danger. i am a single mum, would like to get me kids to come back to me asap. 1st step is strengthening our bond. just wondering whether anyone can give some idea to improve our relationship in the 2 hours contact time? any advice will be appreciated. many thanks for your time.
Dear love2022

Thank you for your further post and apologies for the late re-sponse.

Your daughters 12 and 8 are in foster care under a care or-der. You are having contact with them fortnightly, but you are worried that the relationship with your daughters is in danger. Unfortunately, you have not explained why you believe this to be the case. Are there any difficulties with contact? I can understand that being away for home is hard for you and them.

In your post you are asking for ideas related to strengthening the bond and relationship with your daughters. Another poster has given you some very good advice about how you can improve contact with your daughters. You could also find out what their interests are and bring information, books or games relevant to their interest so you can share in what they enjoy.

It is not clear if your contact is supervised, if it is supervised, you can work towards having unsupervised contact or ask for more time as it is now 2 hours fortnightly. You can speak to the independent reviewing officer (IRO) about increased contact.

You have had recent advice related to reunification and contact and I suggest you look again at that advice and the links provided.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Suzie