Social worker failed us

Mad mummy

Social worker failed us

Post by Mad mummy » Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:44 pm

Please I hope that someone can help me I had twins and my baby girl was given morphine when discharged from hospital to the foster carer she was given morphine to take home I've recently been informed by the foster carer that she was given to much the social worker never told me this I've been asking since before Christmas what happened who's responsible this and last week she finally got in contact with me after bombarding her with text calls she said that it wasn't an overdose at the lac review it was confirmed that it was I've had no communication with local authority regarding the general welfare what children's act do I have to research and what's the protocol and procedures for keeping the parent's informed I've had no support of any kind

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Social worker failed us

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:26 pm

Dear Mad mummy

Welcome to the discussion board and thank you for your post. My name is Suzie, I am an adviser at Family Rights Group and will be responding to you today. I am sorry to hear of your situation, it must be a stressful and frustrating time for you.

You have twin children, one of which was given morphine when discharged from hospital. The children are placed in foster care. You were informed by the foster carer that your child was given ‘too much’ of this drug and since this time (January) you have been trying to contact the social worker for further information. This has been a difficult task, and it is only recently, due to your persistence, that the social worker got back to you to say this was not the case. Your child did not ‘overdose’ on the medication. You are confused by this as you say that it was agreed at the children’s Looked After Review that too much medication was given.

You do not say whether care proceedings are under way or concluded. If they are, I suggest you ask your solicitor to clarify this point within the court arena. If you are not in care proceedings then I suggest you write to the social worker and their team manager, copying in the independent reviewing officer to ask for written clarification on the matter.

You say you have had no communications with children’s services regarding the general welfare of the children. You retain parental responsibility and as such children’s services have a duty to keep you informed and updated, and when appropriate, for you to take part in your children’s looked reviews . Section 22(3) of the Children Act 1989 establishes the general duty of the local authority who looks after a child to safeguard and promote the child’s welfare. This duty underpins all local authority activity involving looked after children.

I have added HERE two guides we have created to inform and advise when working with social workers and solicitors. The guild offers ’top tips’ and what steps you may wish to consider if things are not going well.

For support for yourself, a good place to start would be your GP. They will know of local services in your area and to refer or ‘signpost’ you to them. I do not know what type and level support you are seeking for yourself at this time therefore I have added below some organisations that you may find helpful.

Match Mothers offers non-judgmental support and information to mothers apart from their children in a wide variety of circumstances. This is their support line number: O800 689 4104. It is free and confidential. Please refer to their website for operating times.

PAUSE offer intensive, supportive, and trusting relationship building between a woman and their Pause Practitioner. Pause Practitioners tailor the 18-month programme of support to each individual woman’s needs and their hopes for the future across a variety of areas, from housing to improving relationships with children.

Talking Therapies Talking therapies , or psychological therapies, are effective and confidential treatments delivered by fully trained and accredited NHS practitioners. They can help if you're struggling with things like feelings of depression, excessive worry, social anxiety or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). You can access talking therapies for free on the NHS. You can refer yourself directly to an NHS talking therapies service without a referral from a GP, or a GP can refer you. Help is available in person, by video, over the phone or as an online course.

If you would like any further advice, please contact the advice service again. You can:

• Call our freephone helpline on 0808 8010366, Mon to Fri, 9.30 am to 3.00 pm (except bank holidays), to speak to an adviser.
• Send an advice enquiry
• Post another query here
• Use our webchat facility web chat facility

Best wishes, Suzie