Will I be told when my son's father is released from prison?

Bananamilkshake

Will I be told when my son's father is released from prison?

Post by Bananamilkshake » Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:17 pm

Good afternoon,

My son's father was sentenced to 3 years for sexual assault last year ... on one of his nieces ....

From the guidelines I have read online I think he will be out after 18 months (so around September this year) and on licence for the the other 18 months, however, someone told me that he maybe out even earlier on a different sort of licence.

Will family services or the police tell me when he's out? He's had no contact since well before it finally got to court and I'm worried he'll just turn up out of the blue - I'd rather be aware he might turn up than it be a complete surprise!

Thank you

Bananamilkshake

(edited by Suzie in accordance with forum rules)

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Will I be told when my son's father is released from prison?

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:24 pm

Dear Bananamilkshake

Welcome to the parents’ discussion forum and thank you for posting.

My name is Suzie, online adviser at Family Rights Group and I will respond to you post relating to release from prison of your son’s father. I am sorry that there has been a slight delay in responding due to volume of work.

You say your son’s father may be released from prison in 18 months having receive a 3-year sentence for sexual assault on his niece. A conviction of this nature would mean that he is likely to be on the Sex Offenders Register and there are; likely to be restrictions on him.

The worry for you is that he may turn up at your home to see his son. As his release would be on licence and there would be specific things he is not able to do, I think it unlikely he would come to your home. You are also wondering if you would be told of his release. I think you would be informed if children’s services have concerns about him having contact with our son or, if it is considered that he poses a risk to you or him.

Your son’s father would be expected to work with a probation officer during his time on licence and if he breached the terms of his licence he could be recalled to prison.

He may wish to have contact with his son and if this is communicated to you, I suggest you inform children’s services so they can make recommendations or advise you that he should seek legal advice if he wishes to have contact. You can decide yourself whether contact can happen, but this will depend on what children’s services consider is safe for your son.
You Have not mentioned in your post if children’s services is still actively involved with you and your son or if there is any plan for example a child in need. I suggest you speak with the social worker about what is likely to happen when the father is released from prison so you can have a clear understanding of their expectations.

It may be helpful for you to contact the Lucy Faithfull Foundation on 0808 100 0900 for advice relating to sexual offences and contact with contact and how you can ensure your child is safeguarded.

Should you wish to speak to an adviser you can telephone our free confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3.00pm Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays)

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie

Bananamilkshake

Post by Bananamilkshake » Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:38 pm

Hi Suzie, thank you for the reply. Children's services are not currently involved and were happy with my own safeguarding (I was always there when he had contact while he was initially investigated and then the time between it went to court). I realise should he be released it will be on licence but I was also told that some sentences mean he could be released even earlier than the 18 months?! I would of course call children's services straight away should he turn up unannounced but I am hopeful that I will know when he's coming out so I can be prepared in case he does just turn up. The local paper reported that he would be on the SOR for life but I am not sure how accurate that is! Thank you

Starwars90

Post by Starwars90 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:30 pm

The early release you are referring to is called Home Detention Curfew or TAG.

Those convicted of a sexual offence and required to register on SOR are ineligible.

https://prisonreformtrust.org.uk/advice ... urfew-hdc/

Glagal1965

Post by Glagal1965 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:02 pm

Hi,
I can only speak from personal experience. My ex and father to my children was sentenced in March 2022 to 28 months in prison and placed on the SOR for 10 years. He was released halfway through his sentence and we weren't notified of his release. The reason I was given was that my children had no right to be informed as they weren't victims of his crimes, under data protection he had rights to privacy.

I hope you have a better outcome to allow you to prepare and safeguard your child.