Concern About Social Worker

AS0224

Concern About Social Worker

Post by AS0224 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:53 pm

Background: My children have been under a CIN plan for over two years due to my husband being under investigation for iioc. We are not together and the kids have no unsupervised contact with their dad.

We've been assigned a new social worker (again) who has done two brief home visits. During the second visit I popped out of the room for 30 seconds, when I came back she was right in my 5yo daughter's space asking her if she wanted to talk with her in the bedroom. My daughter was clearly very uncomfortable about this stranger asking to go to her bedroom with her and declined. I didn't say anything but am now concerned as there have been no issues raised about me nor my parenting, I've complied with CS and I've completed the protective parenting course. My kids are observed as being happy, healthy, and well cared for. (Edited to add that my daughter has some behavioral issues at school, due to being overstimulated in my opinion.)

My issue is that I teach my kids about stranger danger, about grooming and sexual abuse (in an age appropriate way). If anyone else had behaved the way this SW worker did I would have kicked them out of my home and reported them. I realise that if I had stepped in to advocate for my child it would have been a red flag for CS.

How do I navigate this in the future, and why would she want to speak with my child alone when there are no problems at home?

greenfairy

Re: Concern About Social Worker

Post by greenfairy » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:57 pm

AnnStan, how unprofessional of this social worker. If she had any concerns, she should have informed you about them and notified you that she wanted to talk to your daughter in private.

Trying to do this behind your back without informing you should be reported to her manager.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Concern About Social Worker

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:46 pm

Dear AS0224

Thank you for posting on Family Rights Group parents’ discussion forum and welcome.

I see from you post that children’s services is involved with your family because your husband is being investigated in respect of indecent images of children (iioc) and there is a child in need plan in place.

You are concerned about the actions of the new social worker allocated to your case. The reason for your concern is that the social worker wanted to speak with your 5-year-old daughter alone. I understand your concern since the social worker did not mention to you that she wished to speak with your daughter. It is unfortunate that the social worker failed to follow an appropriate protocol since social workers can speak with children alone. The government guidance Working together to Safeguard Children states that children should be seen alone where possible, and children should be spoken with in an age-appropriate way.

Here is a link to page 53 of the guidance for more information

As the social worker’s actions caused you and your daughter to be uncomfortable and concerned, I suggest you bring this to the attention of the social worker and her team manager about this so there is an understanding on both sides about the process.

I hope you find this helpful but if you wish to speak to an adviser, please telephone our avice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3.00pm Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays)

Best wishes

Suzie