Local shops

Dudu

Local shops

Post by Dudu » Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:34 pm

Hi

Just wanted yo know if social workers can go to your local shops to ask about your shopping sprees. Like wine purchases?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Local shops

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:38 pm

Dear Dudu

Thank you for posting on Family Rights Group parents’ discussion forum.

You are concerned about a social worker making enquiries about purchases from a local shop. In my view, if children’s services is carrying out an assessment where there are safeguarding concerns regarding children, they can try to obtain as much information as possible to find out if, for example, a person is drinking, using drugs or if there are concerns about domestic violence in a family.

I do not think a social work would ordinarily want to find out about a ‘shopping spree’ but if someone stated that they did not drink to excess and there is a local shop that sells alcohol he or she might make enquiries as part of the information gathering process.

If children’s services have safeguarding concerns, it is important that they have enough information to be able to offer support and help to the family to ensure children are not at risk. You may wish to discuss this with the social and his or her team manager.

As I do not know from your post the extent to which children’s services is involved with your and your family, I have included a link to our website relating to the procedures when children's services receive a referral.

You may find it helpful to speak with one of our experienced advisers about your circumstances and you can call our advice line 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am o 3.00pm Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays)

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie