Social involvement

Mummy112

Social involvement

Post by Mummy112 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:17 pm

Hi I need some advice
I had my child when I was 16 I’m now 24 social took my child off my due to me not coping and looking after her this was down to neglect they said , I see her ever other month used to be in the contact centre, I used to see my child every week keeps changing
I’m currently in the middle of doing a parenting group/course
I’ve had my own place for 5 years been in a stable relationship for 4 years and I’ve grown up more if I was to get pregnant would they remove the baby due to social involvement with my current child and my past
Thank you

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Social involvement

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:04 pm

Dear Mummy112

Welcome back to the parents’ discussion board. Thank you for your further post.
Well done for all the positive steps you have taken.

Your query is about children’s services’ involvement if you became pregnant again. You are worried that any new baby would be removed from you due to your past history.

Please look at my response, on 9th February, to your earlier post, on the thread ‘will social services get involved again’. I hope the information provided there will be helpful to you. It explains what is involved in a pre-birth assessment, which is what children’s services usually do when a mother who has had a child removed previously is pregnant again. The social worker must consider the past but must also look at your current situation including your maturity, your relationship with the baby’s father, their support, extended family support, your home situation, and all that you have done including the parenting class. As you mentioned that the concern for your first child was neglect, then any work that you can do to enhance your parenting and understanding of children’s needs will be helpful.

If you become pregnant, it would be a good idea to let children’s services know early on so that a pre-birth assessment can be completed promptly. And be willing to work with all the professionals involved.

Unfortunately, we cannot predict the outcome of assessments as this depends on the specific needs and identified risks to the child in involved.

Our tips for working with a social worker may be helpful too.

I hope this is useful to you.

If you have children’s services’ involvement again please contact the advice service again for further advice.

Best wishes

Suzie