Removing legal guardianship from grandparent

Goldfish

Removing legal guardianship from grandparent

Post by Goldfish » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:04 pm

Hello,

I am looking for advise on what to do to remove legal guardianship that was granted to my sons grandparents. To cut a long story short, false allegations were made against me, which resulted in a emergency court proceeding and social services investigation. Both of these found nothing, but while they were going on, my sons grandparent was awarded temporary legal guardianship as he lived with them. My child has been back in my care for over a year now, as the judge ordered that he was to be settled in back with myself. The grandparent and I have have done mediation, and agreed there that my son lives with me, and can visit grandparent whenever, and it’s been that way for over a year. I have never had my parental responsibility removed, I was told in court by the judge that guardianship was being granted due to my son living there while things were being investigated in case of any medical emergency etc., I was more than happy with that, as in a emergency I wanted what was best for my child ASAP.
The result of the first court agreement was that a child arrangement order be placed, outlining increasing contact/over night with myself for my son, and when his father was to see him. The grandparent is mentioned in this due to them having residence of my son before they moved back with myself.
As I’ve said, we’ve done mediation, that chapter is closed, my child lives with me full time, I’ve always been involved, never been away from my child and I have never been stripped of my PR- but I do want to take the step forward and have the legal guardianship removed, I just feel it’s unnecessary and in situations like medical appointments etc, signing up for a passport, I’m going to have to get the grandparent to sign off on things, when it should just be the ones caring for my son, e.g. myself and his father.
Any advice on where to go from here?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Removing legal guardianship from grandparent

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:33 am

Dear Goldfish

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Board.

The answer to your question, can be found, here on the Government’s website: essentially what you are asking is how to discharge the Order.

Child Law Advice have a guide about discharging the order, you can access their website here.

I do hope this information is helpful.

Best wishes
Suzie