Relocating after Discharge of Care Order

A2022

Relocating after Discharge of Care Order

Post by A2022 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:48 pm

Hi,
My child was on a care order for 2 years. The care order was discharged in 2022 and they were placed in my care. A disability social worker is still involved but not from a safeguarding point of view.

I'm planning on moving soon to a new area which is far from my current area.

My question is would the current LA be able to stop me from moving or cause any problems with me moving?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Relocating after Discharge of Care Order

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:29 pm

Dear A2022

Thank you for your updating post and congratulations and having your child in your care now that the care order has been discharged.

You now wish to move to a different area and wonder whether children’s services would be able to prevent you doing so. The short answer is no. You can move to a different area. However, as there is still a disability social worker involved the case would be transferred to your new area so that local authority can assess and provide for your child’s needs.

Provided a person is not moving out of the jurisdiction, that is abroad, there is no restriction on them doing so unless a court order states otherwise.

I hope you and your child will enjoy your new area.

Best wishes

Suzie