Why is a LADO going ahead when the allegations are proven unfounded

Dumbstruck_mum01

Why is a LADO going ahead when the allegations are proven unfounded

Post by Dumbstruck_mum01 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:50 pm

LADO is currently going ahead regarding allegations that my partner injured our child with a weapon. It didn't happen and medical examination has ruled out that the injury was intentionally caused and wholly consistent with a fall. Kid has a cut on their knee. Said his dad tried to saw his leg off. It's a joke my partner says when the kids are injured. "Oh no, it needs to come off. Quick, get the saw! ".

Currently living in hell as two LADO meetings so far, but no decision has been made. Can anyone tell me why, or if this should even be continuing when the medical examiner declared the allegations to be a complete fabrication.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Why is a LADO going ahead when the allegations are proven unfounded

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:50 pm

Dear Dumbstruck_mum01

Welcome to the parents’ discussion board and thank you for your post. My name is Suzie. I am Family Rights Group’s online adviser.

I am sorry to hear that children’s services became involved in your family’s life following an allegation, as you have described. From what you have said, I think your child may have had a child protection medical which concluded that the cut on their knee was consistent with a fall. You have explained that there is a family joke about getting the saw when one of the children has an injury.

The Local Authority Designated Officer has become involved presumably as your partner or you work or volunteer with children or vulnerable adults. As you know their role is to make sure that allegations against professionals are properly and fairly managed. They must be involved when there is a concern that the child of that professional may have been harmed by them.

You want to know why they are still involved and have held 2 meetings when the doctor who examined your son was satisfied that his injury was accidental.

The LADO usually remains involved until a case is concluded. It is not clear form your post whether the assessment that children’s services were doing has concluded i.e. if children’s services are closing the case or whether they are recommending another option such as child in need. There may be other factors or issues involved. It is not possible to say based on such limited information.

The LADO has a coordination role between children’s services and the employer or agency involved.

You can ask the social worker to update you about the outcome of their assessment and any suggested actions. You can also ask them to provide feedback about the LADO’s role and when it will conclude.

The LADO should ensure that you and your partner are informed of the outcome of their involvement. Of course, they should aim to do this is a timely way and seek to minimise distress as far as possible.

I hope that you are informed of the outcome of children’s services and the LADO’s involvement as soon as possible.

Please post back or contact the advice service via our freephone helpline 0808 8010366, Mon to Fri, 9.30 am to 3.00 pm (except bank holidays) one of our online routes; our advice enquiry form or webchat.

Best wishes

Suzie