What do social services legally have to do?

Mrbean123

What do social services legally have to do?

Post by Mrbean123 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:44 pm

As title really. Just looking to see what the bare minimum legal things that child social services are required to do to support a family?

Long story short. Family home (males primarily) under investigation as Internet was used to access IIOC. Children and mum moved in with a relative whilst investigation happens.

Why I ask about the law is, my contact with them has been limited due to the investigation but I'm also aware of the horror stories where social just don't have the time, capacity and resources to fully support families. Plus there's an ongoing housing crisis, and I'm concerned that because they have access to a family members spare bedroom, that progress will stagnate pending the investigation

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: What do social services legally have to do?

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:30 pm

Dear Mrbean123

Thank you for your further post. I am sorry for the delayed response.

I am sorry that you are still worried about the impact on your family due to children’s services following a referral from the police because of children sexual images on devices.

You are asking what is the bare minimum of support that children’s services are obliged to give to families. It is difficult to give an answer to this question because any support offered to a family is specific to the family following an assessment of their needs.

Children’s services, depending on the assessment being carried out have a timescale to work to. You can read more about this in the statutory guidance working together to safeguard children . HERE . You can read from page 43 about the support children's services can offer.

In the response to your earlier post you were given information about child in need and I am also including details about the process when children services receive a referral and I have included a link HERE for ease of reference for you.

It is correct that there are concerns about the care system but it still has to work to ensure that children are properly safeguarded and receive any additional support required by their family.

Should you wish to have further information you may find it helpful to speak to one of our experienced advisers, you can telephone our free confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open 9.30am to 3.00pm Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays).

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie