reunification

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: reunification

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:48 pm

Dear Love2022,

Thank you for your update and apologies for the delay in this response.

The social worker has let you know that the assessment was negative as it is felt that the children were not ready for reunification at this time. It's important for you to read through the assessment carefully and noting all the points raised so that you can respond to them now and in the future.
I think that you could ask how and when reunification will be revisited with the children, and how those conversations will be planned sensitively so that their wishes and feelings can be fully talked about.
It might be useful for the children to have an advocate to help them express their views about their future care and the possibility of reunification. You can read more about advocates here

Each looked after child review should consider whether the care order still needs to be in place, so as you’re probably aware, it’s very important for you to be involved in the reviews so that the possibility of reunification can be considered regularly and any obstacles worked on.
You can read more about care plans and looked after child reviews here.

You could also ask for a copy of the local authority’s Reunification Policy.
Looked after child reviews look at all aspects of the care plan including contact. You write that you are having regular contact with the children but obviously it’s not the same as the daily routine of caring for them.
Could the social worker discuss the contact plans with you and think about the venue, schedule and the available activities?
Enriching the contact time that you have with the children is a good way to keep and strengthen your connection and deepen your relationships.

Information about how children’s services respond to complaints is here.
The complaints process does not necessarily result in a different outcome but it will look at whether the decision was made fairly and thoroughly with all relevant information considered.

In terms of court options available, you can read the Family Rights Group page on how care orders can be brought to an end in the courts here.
You should bear in mind that the court would consider whether there has been a significant change of circumstances since the care order was made and the wishes and feelings and best interests of the children are the priority in any decision.

I hope this is helpful. Please contact us again if we can be of further help.
Further ways to seek advice from Family Rights Group

Best wishes,
Suzie

love2022

Post by love2022 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:23 am

hello Suzie,
thanks for your message.
reunification might be revisited in 4 months time. will everything be repeated again if revisited? if social worker still work in same way, i am sure i will have same outcome. so how does social worker change the way they are working? as it is not child appropriate. i strongly opposite it. please advise.

if my children prefer to stay in placement, does it mean they will never come back home? i wish they will say yes next time if they were asked same question. however i knew it is impossible, as they stay with foster carer all the time, and they have settled. at same time we must consider my kids are still too little, and they are not able to make good decision for themselves. obviously staying with parents is best choice. how do you think please?

could you please tell me what i can do in the contact time to improve and strengthen our connection? i see them 2 hours fortnightly.

please let me know if you have any tips, for anything please.

thank you.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:13 pm

Dear Love2022

Thank you for your further post.

I am sorry that your assessment was negative, and you now want to know what will give a different outcome in the 4 months that you have been told the reunification will be re-visited.

As you were previously advised, it is very important that you look at the assessment report to ensure you that you under-stand the reasons for the negative decision. Once you know the reasons, you can address these to ensure that they will not be part of a new assessment. If you do not address or change the concerns, then you are likely to get the same outcome.

If you believe that you have made significant changes and disagree with the negative assessment, you can consider applying directly to the court for the care order to be dis-charged. The court will consider the changes you have but you will need to provide evidence to the court to support your assertions.

Regarding what you can do at contact to help strengthen your relationship, you have advice from other posters and me. Please go back and read these to help you.

Hope this is helpful but if you wish to speak to an adviser, you can telephone our advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3.00pm Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays)

Best wishes

Suzie

love2022

Post by love2022 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:59 pm

hello Suzie,

thanks for your message.

social worker mentioned my girls are not ready to come home yet, and both girls would like to stay in foster placement. my children have been there for 2 years, and settled. i knew i am in the hopeless position, but i am still trying. what do you suggest please?

thank you.