Court case

Terrifiedparent

Court case

Post by Terrifiedparent » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:19 pm

Hello,
It's been almost 2 years since the knock, 12 months since any involvement from CS, and my partner has had a call today saying his case has been taken to magistrates court next month.
My entire world has been shaken up again, we have lived an almost normal life (granted that has been with supervised contact) but apart from that relatively normal and now I feel sick to my stomach and I'm worrying all over again.
My main question is, why have the solicitors taken proof of bank statements and NI number, he doesn't work due to disability and I rely on his money to pay the bills so now I'm worrying that depending on the outcome that money could stop? We won't have anywhere to live if so and of course I'm worrying because I don't want CS thinking I'm not capable of looking after my child!

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Court case

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:10 pm

Dear Terrifiedparent

Thank you for posting again to update.

I am sorry that you are now again worried about how things will go as the police has informed you partner that he must answer a charge and the hearing is in February 2024.

As children’s services has not been involved for a year and you are both presumably working with an agreement or safety plan which has been going well.

In response to your specific question of why the solicitor needed proof of income and his NI (national insurance) number. This is a criminal case for which your partner will need legal aid to be represented in court. so this information is, I believe, to do with an application for legal aid.

I can understand your concerns about the likely outcome and how this would impact you as a family. If things go badly for your partner, you would be entitled to claim benefits for yourself and child. Provided you are not considered to have made yourself intentionally homeless then you would be entitled to go to your local housing department to ask for housing for yourself and your child.

Although, children’s services are not involved now, it may be that depending on the outcome of your partner’s case and the information disclosed that they may look again at the case for safeguarding reasons.
I suggest you act proactively and get information about protecting children where one parent is a perpetrator in respect of sexual offences, you can contact the Parents Protect part of the Lucy Faithfull Foundation on 0808 100 0900. The NSPCC 0808 800 5000 also offer information for mothers as protectors.

I do not think children’s services will think you are not capable of looking after your child and, in any event, they are there to provide support where a family needs it. They can support you to obtain housing and advice you about the benefits you can claim.

I hope you find this information helpful, but should you wish to speak to an adviser, please telephone our advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3.00pm Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays).

Best wishes

Suzie

Terrifiedparent

Post by Terrifiedparent » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:17 pm

Thank you, from what his solicitor has said and the outcome from his 2nd interview, nothing else has been found other than those that caused all this in the first place. I've done a course that CS recommended so I was able to be the main person to provide contact so I really hope this can carry on as it is working for us, and my little one seems happy (no concerns from school etc)
I'm expecting more involvement from CS at some point but hoping it's more of a check on and then a "ok carry on as you are", would there be a chance of them reopening the CIN case at all?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:20 pm

Dear Terrifiedparent

Thank you for your updating post.
It is great that nothing further has been found on your partner’s devices. The criminal case will progress to its conclusion. The solicitor representing your partner will be able to give an indication of what is likely to happen.

You have already been assessed by children’s services as safe to supervise contact and keep your child safe. Unless something comes up to change this situation it is likely to continue. Not clear why you are expecting more involvement with children’s services at some point. They are already aware of the circumstances and from what you say in your post nothing has changed.

It is possible for children’s services to become involved again if there is a further referral. I think it unlikely they will reopen the case if nothing has changed.

I suggest you await the outcome of your partner’s criminal case. Children’s services has no control over this, it is a police matter.

It is understandable that you are worried but until the case has concluded there is very little you can do except to continue with the arrangements as recommended by children’s services.

Best wishes

Suzie

Terrifiedparent

Post by Terrifiedparent » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:02 pm

Hi, thanks again for your reply. I'm just a very anxious person, nothing has changed at all since the last involvement, I think I just assume the worst as we had so many issues with CS until our final social worker who managed to sort things out.

The solicitor has said there's potential for an arrest as they're all cat A but that's worst case scenario and they're ready to appeal that decision but other than them ringing to give the court date and tske bank details we haven't heard anything from them.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:00 pm

Dear Terrifiedparent,

Thanks for your reply.

Some anxiety in your situation is understandable, and it sounds like you are self-aware and trying to guard against assuming the worst.

I hope that the previous advice continues to be of use.

If you would like any further advice please contact the advice service again.

You can:

• Call our freephone helpline on 0808 8010366, Mon to Fri, 9.30 am to 3.00 pm (except bank holidays), to speak to an adviser.
• Send an advice enquiry advice enquiry
• Post a query on our kinship carers’ forum.
• Use our webchat facility web chat facility

Best wishes,
Suzie