Child in Need Plan

samstown

Child in Need Plan

Post by samstown » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:01 pm

So, my husband has a previous conviction which means he has a SHPO and can't have unsupervised contact with anyone under 18. We found out we were expecting in July last year, and informed his mosovo officer at the end of July, who then made the referral to social services.

We had our assessment visits with child services at the start of October, and only received the outcome of this on the 15th November. As my husband is very low risk, they'd just like him to do a psychological assessment, and for myself to do a safer Carers Course, just to mitigate any risk. We then had to wait until December to have the handover with our allocated social worker.

We were told at this point that the course/assesment were 10 weeks long, and that my course can only start mid-Feb. I'm due mid-March so this doesn't give me enough time to complete the course before the baby arrives. My husband's assessment also hasn't yet started, although we were told this was flexible and could start asap. So now we have been put into a position where it's impossible for us to get these done before we have our baby, and therefore that will more than likely mean that my husband can't live with us once they arrive. I'm also assuming that this would then mean we would have to be put into a child protection plan instead, and I'm not sure what effect that will have? I'm very concerned that we won't be able to live together as a family, and that it has all been completely out of our hands due to timescales on their part (we kept being told it was "too early" to do much). Is there anything that we can do now in this situation to stop this from happening? I'm also concerned that I will give birth at some point part way through my course (which is in person, about an hour's drive from where we live), and there's the possibility of not being able to complete it if I'm not fit and well enough to rejoin after birth, so will have to join the August course - when I have questioned what will happen, I was told not to think about it. I will also have to leave my very newborn baby with someone else to attend the course afterwards, which I do not feel comfortable with, but I feel I don't have a choice?

We have been trying to contact our social worker but have stopped getting responses, and haven't had a visit since the start of Dec, despite them telling us they would visit every 4 weeks, so we feel at a bit of a loss with what to do.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Child in Need Plan

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:04 pm

Dear samstown

Welcome to the parents’ discussion forum and thank you for posting. My name is Suzie, Fami-ly Rights Group online adviser.

Congratulations on your pregnancy and I am sorry you are having a difficult time now following children’s services (the new name for social services) involvement due to your husband’s his-torical conviction and SHPO.

It appears from your post that once a referral was made children’s services carried out an assessment and your unborn baby was placed on a child in need plan. As part of that plan both you and your husband are expected to do further work, but that work has not been started and you are worried about the timing due to the expected date for your baby’s birth.

Children’s services will always want to ensure that a person in your husband’s position is assessed to ensure low or no risk to a child. You mention that he is low risk, is that from children’s services assessment or that of probation or for SHPO. Children’s services will want to do their own assessment. Although you state he is low risk the fact that he has a MOSOVO officer may be of concern to children’s services.

Due to your worry about the time factor, I suggest you contact the social worker’s team manager regarding your concerns.

If you are not receiving a response to telephone calls, then you should put your concerns in writing and asking for a written response.

I am not able to say why there is a delay in your husband’s and your assessment and you should ask the social worker and team manager to give you more clarity in respect of the process you are in now. It is unusual for a psychological assessment to take 10 weeks, but this may be part of other work your husband is expected to do. Perhaps if you can find alternatives which you can give to children’s services, they may be able to refer you so that the work can be started sooner.

Here is information relating to child in need and pre-birth assessment the latter is usually done to decide what will happen before and after baby arrives. There is also a link HERE for parents to be.

From the terminology used in your post it appears that you may not be in England but think you even if you are not you may wish to speak with the Lucy Faithfull Foundation, Parents Protect on 0808 100 0900 as they provide advice/support to non-offending parent. The NSPCC 0808 800 5000 also provide information relating to mothers as protectors.

If you are in England, you may wish to speak with one of our experienced advisers by calling our free confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3.00pm Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays)

I hope you find the information helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie