Discharge SGO

Dogmum91

Discharge SGO

Post by Dogmum91 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:13 pm

Hope this is in the right place 🙏
Tldr; how do I support my application to end sgo, child already living in the home. Support from SS & EH, guardian says happy as long as child is happy but not allowing contact with school, doctors etc, still in receipt of support/child benefit etc for the child.

Long version, with brief history.

DV relationship led to child being placed with paternal family age 3 with SGO.
Anytime child wanted more contact I was forced by guardians to apply to court for changes to be made to CAO, as any direct contact, indirect contact and mediation attempts always failed. Courts have previously been unsupportive of my applications and nobody ever actually spoke to my child about what they wanted with regards to contact etc. One judge did however say the amount of significant change was extraordinary but child was too settled in the placement to consider discharging SGO at that point, child was 9/10 at the time.
We were at 1 day a month with no over nights or ad-hoc time granted. This slowly tailed off, with guardians saying child had other plans, didn't want to come etc. despite child being visibly distressed when it came to taking them back to guardians home. Guardians later used covid, school and life story work, hormones etc, as reasons for child to want to cut contact. I stepped back and gave child the space they needed. I kept up with updates about younger siblings and 1 year later we reconnected with my child saying they were led to believe I didn’t want to see them. Child came to stay shortly after, saying they never felt complete in the placement and always wanted more but didn't know how/who to ask. They asked to move in and have been back home a year (now 15) and we have our initial hearing for permission to start proceedings with a view to discharge the SGO. Despite living close, we fall under two local authorities, ours and the one that granted the SGO, both LA social care and early help teams support child being with me but guardian is preventing me accessing school, gp etc. How do I support my application on behalf of my child? I’m married with 3 other children in the home, 2 children in my marriage and a step child who is with us on a child arrangements order. Step-child made similar moves as child, in coming to stay and asking to move in, followed by a court case where cafcass took their wishes and feelings into account, stepchild was 10 when this happened.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Discharge SGO

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:56 am

Dear Dogmum91

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Board.

To support your application for the discharge of an order you may need to engage a solicitor, here is a link to the Law Society’s database of solicitors.

We have an advice sheet which may be helpful about SGOs for parents, you can read it here.

Child Protection Resource has some tips on their website, you can access it here.

You mentioned CAFCASS here is a link to how they work with families, in court cases.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best wishes
Suzie