File request

Skye22

File request

Post by Skye22 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:22 pm

Hi there

I'm aware of and have requested my and my child's SAR. However, I'm wondering if there's more files that I should request? Is there such a thing as safeguarding files? Are there files/information that were not in the SARs? That I need to ask for separately?

The lady that searched/sent our SARs has been so helpful. But I asked a question and her reply seemed odd. So now I'm questioning if there's other files....

Thanks

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: File request

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:48 pm

Dear Skye22

Welcome to the parents’ discussion board. Thank you for your post. My name is Suzie. I am Family Rights Group’s online adviser.

You have made an application for access to your and your child’s records. You are wondering if there are other files such as safeguarding files that you can request.

When you apply to children’s services to see the personal information that they hold about you and your child, in principle you have a right to see all of the information that is held. However, there can be exemptions to the information shared, which could include information relating to safeguarding e.g.

Confidential information about the child. This is information given to a social worker, or to someone else (such as a medical practitioner), by a child on the basis that it would not be disclosed. Disclosed means ‘shared with’.
• Sharing the information would prevent social workers from doing their job because it may cause serious harm to someone’s physical or mental health.
• Sharing the information would interfere with the prevention or detection of a crime.
• The information relates to the abuse of a child and sharing the information with you would not be in the child’s best interests.

If children’s services think any exemptions do apply, they may decide not to show the information. They will think about whether they need any additional time to respond to the request.

This is set out in our advice sheet 6a) accessing records held by children’s services: personal information about families.

There are likely to be other agencies involved with you and your child such as school and health. They will also have their own access to records policy. You could also request access to the records they hold if you wish.

If you have any specific concerns about children’s services refusing to give you information, or you think they are holding some back, or you disagree with what is written, you should ask children’s services to explain in writing why they have refused to provide you with the information. If you are still dissatisfied having done so you could contact the Office of the Information Commissioner. Their helpline details are: 0303 123 1113 and they also have a live chat service..

I hope this is useful. If you would like any further advice about children’s services involvement with your family please post back on this forum, call our freephone advice service on 0808 8010366, Mon to Fri, 9.30 am to 3.00 pm or use our advice enquiry or webchat facility.

Best wishes

Suzie