Seeking Guidance on Coping with Childhood Trauma

JN2024

Seeking Guidance on Coping with Childhood Trauma

Post by JN2024 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:37 pm

Hey everyone,
I hope you're doing well. I wanted to share something that has been bothering me for a while now. When I was growing up, my father was an alcoholic, depressed, and self-destructive. Sadly, he eventually lost his battle with these issues. One thing that haunts me is that he used to wear shirts with aztec patterns all the time. Now that I'm 19, whenever I see someone wearing a shirt with a similar pattern, it triggers intense feelings of sadness and guilt that I can't seem to shake. I'm not sure how to deal with this emotional response, and it's starting to affect my daily life. If anyone has any advice or suggestions on how I can address and cope with these feelings, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Seeking Guidance on Coping with Childhood Trauma

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:35 pm

Dear JN2024

Welcome to the parents’ discussion board. Thank you for your post. My name is Suzie. I am Family Rights Group’s online adviser.

I am very sorry to hear of the difficulties you experienced growing up due to your father’s alcohol misuse and mental health needs. You have also experienced a bereavement. You are now a young adult and struggling with the impact of what you have experienced. You are looking for advice about how to deal with your emotions.

Unfortunately, your query is outside of our remit as we advise parents whose children have social worker involvement. However, I hope that the following services may be able to assist you more and offer you the help you are looking for. It is positive that you are trying to get the right help and I hope that you are able to access it.

You could contact your GP who will be able to consider with you what services and support you are interested in and how to access them.

You can access talking therapies and counselling free via the NHS. You can ask your GP to refer you or you can self-refer.

You might also find some of the following services helpful, too:

Young Minds
The Mix
Mind
Adfam
Samaritans
Supportline
HubofHope
Shout

I hope this helps.

Wishing you all the best.

Suzie