Voluntary child in need plan

Baileybunny

Voluntary child in need plan

Post by Baileybunny » Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:35 pm

Hi I need some advice please. My adult step granddaughter is 6 months out of prison for a section 18 wounding with intent sentence. She's currently on probation. Due to family circumstances she's registered as living at my address. She's actually living with her boyfriend and I see her about once a fortnight. I'm fully aware of the details of the offence and what happened, the reasons she didn't have any witnesses to defend her in court etc. The problem is that social services have become involved, ringing me because my grandson aged 2 lives with me. A social worker rang to tell me that the baby is now classed as a child in need and I need to let them into my home for inspection and sign an agreement about how I'm going to live from now on with the baby. When I asked the reason why this was happening I was told that my step granddaughter is very dangerous and I'm endangering the baby by having her anywhere near. My step granddaughter is the baby's much older half sister, they share the same birth mother, and the violent physical offence she was convicted of was against the mother in self defense. I told the social worker that I was fully aware, more than them, of all the circumstances of the offence. She's never allowed to be alone with the baby. I have CCTV in every room of my house and am not a stupid or trusting person. I was told by the social worker that they have to do a full investigation of my life and home and I have to sign this agreement they're going to write or they'll take things further. Please can someone tell me what to expect in this meeting and agreement?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Voluntary child in need plan

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:53 pm

Dear BaileyBunny,

Thank you for your post. My name is Suzie and I am an online adviser who will be answering your question today.

As you have posted on the Parents’ Forum I will answer you here, but please be aware that as a Grandparent it is better for you to post on the Kinship Carers’ Forum in future.

You write that your step-granddaughter is convicted of a violent crime, and is on probation.

You point out that she has given your address as her registered address with probation services and children’s services are now involved due to their concerns about potential harm to your 2 year old grandson who lives with you.

You do not mention the type of kinship care arrangement you have for your grandson.
You can read more about types of kinship care arrangements here.
Types of Kinship Care Arrangement

If you after reading about different types of kinship care arrangement you find you would like further advice on this please let us know (details of ways to receive advice are at the end of this post)

You have been told that your grandson is considered a Child in Need. In this case children’s services will have completed, or be in the process of completing a Child in Need Assessment and a Child in Need Plan.
You should be provided with a copy of both of these documents.
You can read more about what is meant by Child in Need here Child in Need Definition and read about how Child in Need Plans work here Child in Need Plans.

You can ask the social worker to explain how they propose to conduct the risk assessment, and how you will be able to put your point of view about how the risks can be managed in your grandson’s best interests.

It sounds like you have already given much thought to ways of keeping your grandson safe in this complex situation, so you would be able to contribute useful information and reassurance to children’s services to help them with any assessment.

Family Rights Group have written a’ Guide to Working with a Social Worker’ which you may find useful it useful to read at this point. You can link to this here
Working with a Social Worker

I hope this information and advice was useful to you.

There are many different ways to contact Family Rights Group if you seek further advice in the future. You could make another call the Advice Line, or submit a written Web Enquiry or use the WebChat facility. You can read about advice options here.
Further Advice Options

Best wishes,
Suzie