Paying child maintenance

Xr2222

Paying child maintenance

Post by Xr2222 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:20 pm

If a child has turned 18, and is at college, but the college course is only 3days a week, and not full days even, should I still be paying out child maintenance?
The child/adult has a part time job too, and so has an income of their own.
Id like advice as to wether I should continue to pay his mother child maintenance or not. I read somewhere about them being 20, and to continue if they are still in college until then, which he may well be. But surely if he has a part time job, and an income of his own and still living at home, that shouldn't be the case?

Can you please advise me, as I don't want to continue paying out if I shouldn't be.

Thankyou

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Paying child maintenance

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:11 pm

Dear Xr2222,
Thank you for your post on the Parents’ Forum.

My name is Suzie and I will be replying to your enquiries today.

Apologies for the delay in responding to you. There has also been a technical issue which has unfortunately resulted in deletion of the follow up post you sent on 12th December. I can see that you also followed up in another thread. For clarity, I intend to answer each of your enquiries in this one response.

The scope of your question is outside of the remit of Family Rights Group but I can guide you to helpful information available elsewhere.

Information available on the Child Maintenance Service website states that child maintenance is still payable to a child or young person under 20 years of age if they are in approved education or training.

Contact details for the Child Maintenance Service and more detailed information on eligibility in the context of education and training are here.
Child Maintenance Eligibility

You may also find it useful to read the information on how the Child Maintenance Service handles changes of circumstances and on which changes of circumstance must be reported here
Change of Circumstances

I hope you find this information useful.

Best wishes,
Suzie