Child protection

Gbpbutternut

Child protection

Post by Gbpbutternut » Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:52 pm

Hello

Would I know if a child protection conference was going to be held or not please?

Would a social worker inform me beforehand if child protection was now in place or would I not even be told?

Thanks for reading

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Child protection

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:15 pm

Dear Gbpbutternut,

Thank you for your posts and welcome to the parents’ board.

I can see that you have made multiple posts with multiple questions, so I will answer them together below.

1. What kinds of questions do social workers ask you or your child when doing a child in need assessment please?

A child in need assessment should look at a number of aspects of your child and family’s life. The social worker should work with you in a collaborative way to better understand your family’s strengths; any risks that may be present; and how your child’s physical, emotional, social and educational needs are met. The assessment will involve speaking to other professionals and getting a better understanding of your family and social support network. You may find it useful to take a look at our webpage here, for more information on how child in need assessments should be carried out. If you would like some more information, you can ask the social worker to explain to you why they are doing a child in need assessment and what you can expect.

2. During child in need assessment do parents get asked for access to our full medical records ? Or do we just get asked for medical history

The social worker may ask you for consent to contact your GP, for information that is relevant to the safeguarding of your child. It would not be usual for a social worker to ask for access to your full medical records.

3. During a child in need assessment process if one parent refuses to do their interview what would happen ?

Other parent doesn’t usually take part in these things so would kids and I be left being the only ones assessed.

Also if child in need is then recommended and other parent declines again then or declines to do action points in child in need assessment, what then ?

If someone with PR is consenting to the child in need assessment, the social worker will carry this out. However, a child in need assessment – and any plans – will be most effective and useful with meaningful engagement from both parents. This means that the social worker can better understand your family’s strengths, relationships and any risks that exist.

If one parent has some concerns or apprehensions about engaging with a child in need assessment, it may be useful for them to share this with the social worker. webpage Here are some top tips for working with your social worker.

A social worker cannot ‘force’ a parent to partake in an assessment or a plan – however, if a parents’ refusal to engage places a child at increased risk, the social worker may initiate child protection enquiries. This could result in the child being placed on a child protection plan.

4. Would I know if a child protection conference was going to be held or not please?

Would a social worker inform me beforehand if child protection was now in place or would I not even be told?

Parents should always be told if the local authority has initiated child protection enquiries. They should be involved in this and notified in advance if a child protection conference is going to be held. The parents should be invited to the conference and the social workers’ assessment shared a few days prior to this. If you have not been invited to a child protection plan as a parent, or been informed about a child protection plan that is in place, I would advise that you speak to the social worker about this immediately. You should also raise your concerns with the independent conference chair. Finally, you may wish to make a complaint about this. Please Here take a look for more information on how to do this.

I hope you have found this helpful.

Best wishes,

Suzie.