Partner is a SO and is low risk to children but feel like I have no support with social services

Midnight91

Partner is a SO and is low risk to children but feel like I have no support with social services

Post by Midnight91 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:08 pm

Hi. I’m new here so this is my first post. My partner is currently on the SOR. He has been claimed a low risk to the community as it was just online chat. I currently have social services involved to do an assessment as I have a son with joint custody with his dad (not current partner). But my son’s dad I left due to DV. All I’m asking for is for an assessment so my son and current partner can have supervised time together with me. Social services have made this very difficult. I’m being told to choose between my partner and son. How is my partner meant to better himself and rehabilitate without the chance. I understand they have a job to do and need to ensure that my son is safe.

Social services spoke to my son and made him cry by telling him he can’t come back to me. Is this even allowed?

Also I am trying to arrange contact (supervised) with my son and it’s not being allowed as I have a friend here with me due to my mental health being rock bottom and having advice off the police to have someone with me at home so I’m not alone.

Any advice and help I would really appreciate. I currently have a court order in place with my sons father to stop him fr taking him from me but right now that’s redundant.

Many thanks 🙏

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Partner is a SO and is low risk to children but feel like I have no support with social services

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:14 pm

Dear Midnight91

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Board.

From what you have written, it seems that Children’s Services are concerned that your son ‘might or will’ be at risk if he has supervised/unsupervised contact with your partner. A charity called Unlock might have some helpful information for you and your partner, Lucy Faithfull may be helpful too.

You have said that you have a Child Arrangements Order in place, but it is ‘redundant’. Here is some information from Child Law Advice about enforcing orders.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best wishes
Suzie