Assessment

Worried101

Assessment

Post by Worried101 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:01 pm

22nd aug my partner phoned police who then arrested him on my allegations of strangulation i lied because i was angry. No marks ect… anyway he was bailed for 3 months which was removed 2 weeks ago and he came home.. social are recommending C I N plan but i dont want to agree… school have given good feed back on my kids, i suffer anxiety and depression due to horrible neighbours, and my disabled dad on my sofa we currently in a 2 bed awaiting a 3/4 but its a long wait which adds to the stress which has caused the agurements.. concerns are any more future arguments due to living conditions, my son on waiting list for autism, my mental health and apparently drinking because my hubby drinks once a week.. please help can i refuse to go on plan? Weve been together 10 years 2 kids 6 and 14 and due to issues with neighbours 2 arguements in a year that police have been involved..

Worried101

Re: Assessment

Post by Worried101 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:05 pm

Anyone got advice shes due back tomorrow

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:18 pm

Dear Worried 101

Thank you for your post. My name is Suzie, I am an online advisor at Family Rights Group and will be responding to you today.

I am sorry to hear of your situation and the stress it is causing you. It has been a difficult time for you and your family.

The police were called to your home following a domestic abuse incident. The police arrested your partner (at the time, you informed them that your partner strangled you). You have since informed them that this was not the case. Your partner was placed on police bail for three months, presumably with conditions not to have any contact with you. Bail was removed two weeks ago and since then you partner has moved back into the family home.

You have multiple stressor that you are managing, some of which are of concern to children’s services. For example, your mental health (anxiety and depression), your partner’s alcohol consumption, issues with your neighbours, a child with additional needs, over crowding and a disabled father who lives with you.

Children’s Services have completed an assessment and are recommending a Child in Need Plan (CIN). You do not want this type of plan in place and are seeking information and guidance as to whether you can refuse it.

A Child in Need plan is voluntary not mandatory therefore you may refuse for your children to be placed on one. I think it would be a good idea to speak to the social worker to find out why they are recommending a child in need plan. It may be to support you and your family with the multiple issues you are facing. You have different types of issues that require professional support and input from different support services. For example, overcrowding (housing), neighbourhood issues (safe neighbourhood team), a child with additional needs (health/education), your diabled father (adult social care), mental health and domestic abuse support for you and, alcohol misuse and domestic abuse services and support for your partner.

I have added a link HERE to information and guidance regarding Child in Need Assessments and Plans and how Children’s Services should be working with you to achieve the outcomes set out in the plan. I have further added HERE our ‘top tips’ when working with social workers.

It would be a good idea to ask the social worker what their views would be if you refuse the plan. They may decide to close your case, or to escalate their concerns to an initial child protection case conference. I would advise you to ask them this question in writing and to ask for a written response to make sure there is a clear line of communication, and you are clear about their views. This will enable you to make an informed decision.

I have added below some links that you may also find helpful:

National Domestic Abuse Helpline – support for people who have experienced domestic abuse.
Respect – support for perpetrators of domestic abuse
NHS support for alcohol misuse
National support for partners and their families regarding alcohol misuse .
Government information for Special Educational Needs
Government information regarding Antisocial Behaviour .
Shelter– information and advice regarding overcrowding.

I hope you will find this information helpful. Should you wish to speak to an adviser you can telephone our free confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366. You can post again if you need more advice, or you may wish to use other means of contacting Family Rights Group by website enquiry form or webchat. Please refer to our website for information and guidance on how to do this.
Best wishes, Suzie

Worried101

Post by Worried101 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:17 pm

Hi suzie so the asb team and police are already involved due to the neighbours so that’s covered.. housing have said they will not put us any higher priority with housing regardless of a social worker.. my dad already has a disability team and adult social worker… im on waiting list for talking therapies for my mental health and couple counselling. And my son attendeds school and after school clubs.