Early help

Pepsiking1490

Early help

Post by Pepsiking1490 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:08 am

Hi. I've gone through the early help infomation pages on this website but some things are still unclear.

What exactly is early help assement? Does this mean they think we are a risk?

We have lost a previous pregnancy after 20 weeks before and they have said this is the main trigger for wanting a deeper discussion.

Can anyone advise? Midwife and health visitor are carrying this out and at present no referral to children's services have been made.

My partner had Drug resistant depression and there is family history of PND. I have a child who isn't in my care, but this has nothing to do with the social (see prior post)

Is this a scary thing or just offering us some help? Is it likely the form will return back suggesting childrens services get involved?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Early help

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:18 pm

Dear Pepsiking 1490

Thank you for your further post.

I am sorry that you were not able to find the information you want about Early Help from our website.

To respond to your specific questions

‘What exactly is early help assement? Does this mean they think we are a risk?’

An Early Help assessment is carried out where it is considered that a family will benefit from support but children’s services are not involved. The assessment is to identify support to help so that children’s social care do not have to be involved. It is necessary to engage with this assessment and work with the professional involved otherwise a referral could be made to children’s services if a safeguarding risk is identified.

‘Is this a scary thing or just offering us some help? Is it likely the form will return back suggesting childrens services get involved?’

Early Help is not supposed to be a scary thing since the professionals carrying out the assessment would have identified a need and want to provide help and support.

As stated above, a referral could be made to children’s services if a safeguarding concern arises or failure to work with Early Help. Early Help is to ensure that if there is a problem it can be dealt with to ensure it does not get worse or out of hand.

I am including a link to the Early Help information on our website and suggest looking at each heading about the assessment process as you may find it helpful.

Hope this makes things a little clearer for you.

Best wishes

Suzie