Scottish/English law

MO*

Scottish/English law

Post by MO* » Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:44 pm

Can anyone advise please? My son's children have been in foster care in England for several years (where he lived prior to returning to Glasgow) We see the children for unsupervised contact and they stay with their dad three times a year for a week each time. Recently one of the foster parents (the 3 children are in separate placements) messaged at the last minute to say his daughter had changed her mind about coming to Glasgow for the court ordered contact. My son had already driven from Glasgow to Peterborough as he was collecting the other children. He was given no option to speak to his daughter. We asked Social Work to attend and find out what the problem was ... they stated they couldn't as it went against the child's wishes and feelings. The foster carers did not respond to Social Work initially nor to my son's requests to find out what the issue was. My son made an official complaint about this stating that these particular foster carers had failed to encourage family/sibling contact on previous occasions. The complaint was very quickly not upheld. (one of the foster carers is a Social Worker!)
We want to escalate the complaint and concerns about whose needs are being met in this placement ... the carers or our grandchild?
As we live in Scotland we have been told that we need to engage a lawyer in England. Is this correct?
Thank you.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Scottish/English law

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:59 pm

Dear MO*

Welcome to the parents’ discussion forum and thank you for posting on behalf of your son.

My name is Suzie, online adviser at Family Rights Group. I am sorry to read of the difficulties your son has had relating to contact with his daughter. You mention that your son made a complaint which was not upheld. I suggest he follows the complaints procedures of the local authority. I am sure he needs a lawyer at this stage as there is a complaints process to follow which can go to the Local Governnment and social care ombudsman (LGO) if it is necessary to do.

You should be able to find the local authorities complaints policy/procedure on their website.

As he is not satisfied with the outcome at what would be stage one of his complaint, he can request the complaint goes to stage two. You and your son may find it helpful to read the information on our website relating to complaints..

It may also be helpful for you and your son to look at the information here HERE which relates to the duties children’s services have when a child is in care. Your son can also speak with the independent reviewing officer (IRO), usually the person who chairs the looked after children's meetings (LAC).

I hope you will find the information helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie