Social work

PSL 23

Social work

Post by PSL 23 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:45 pm

Hi i am a new mum. I didn't know I was pregnant until I was 7 months as u had no signs of pregnancy what so ever and was understandably in shock. My Dr Put me I'm touch with the SNIPS Team at the hospital who suggested adoption and I had already made up my mind I was keeping her. I agreed to be in contact with social work as I thought they were coming out to talk about finding out I was pregnant later on in my pregnancy and what benefits they could offer me but she came out to talk about adoption which I told her from the beginning wasn't the case. I have had mental health problems in the past but have been clear for years and now because of this they have placed my baby on the child protection regester which iam very angry about. I feel as though they are using my past illness against me.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Social work

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:20 am

Dear PSL 23

Welcome to the parents’ discussion board. Thank you for your post. My name is Suzie. I am Family Rights Group’s online adviser.

Congratulations on the birth of your baby daughter. I am sorry to hear that this is a very stressful time for you though. Your daughter now has a social worker and is on a child protection register. You are upset about this and that your past mental health difficulties are being highlighted.

I think that you may be living in Scotland, from the information you have provided. If this is the case, I would recommend that you get in touch with the Scottish Child Law Centre as they are able to provide advice and information to parents in Scotland in these situations. Their contact details are advice@sclc.org.uk.

Unfortunately, Family Rights Group are only able to advise families where English children’s services are involved.

You may also find the following services helpful to you:

Children 1st Parentline Scotland; you can contact them by calling their freephone 08000 28 22 33 or by using their webchat.
Partners in Advocacy
Breathing Space Scotland .

If I have misunderstood and you are in England then please post back to confirm this.

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie