Social services involvement because of friend in prison

JKJH33

Social services involvement because of friend in prison

Post by JKJH33 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:16 pm

Good morning,

I am looking for advice…
My friend he is in prison, social services contacted me saying that if I will keep contacting him my case could go forward, as me by talking to him, I am putting my child at risk, either its have nothing to do with my child. I have never been in any situation regarding social services involvement.
He is serving IPP sentence and he is up for parole, so the outside probation officer started contacing me regarding our friendship. I stated and my friend said that we are just friends and I am actually just helping hi to get through this. But they still saying that we are in relationship even though we are not. What is all this as I have no understanding.
At the moment they stating he is high risk, but the risk will change when the parole will make a decisinio if he is bring released or transfered to category C or D prison.
Could someone give me any advice, thank you…

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Social services involvement because of friend in prison

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:38 pm

Dear JKJH33

Welcome to the parents’ discussion forum and thank you for your posts
My name Suzie, online adviser at Family Rights Group. I see from your post that you are concerned about children’s services (the new name for social services) involvement with you because of your friendship with a person who is currently in prison. You mention that children’s services are concerned about the level of risk your friend might pose to your child. They consider him to be high risk.

As you have had not previous involvement with children’s services, I think it is important that you understand they have a safeguarding role to ensure children are kept safe within their living environment. Your friend is, as you say on an IPP sentence which means he is considered a risk to the public. Children’s services may have more information about the offence he committed, and this has led them to have concerns about your involvement with him and what it could mean for your child.

I think you may find it helpful to read the information in this link about children's services and the steps they can take to keep children safe. You will see that they can offer support, consider whether a child need to be on a child protection plan or if a child is safe in the care of the parent or person they are living with. It is important that you work openly and honestly with children’s services.

Children’s services are of the view that you are in a relationship with this person and although you have said this is not the case, it appears they remain concerned about your involvement with him. You do not mention if you were friends prior to his conviction or if it is a new friendship. Children’s services will take the view that your child’s safety and wellbeing should be your priority and are likely to be concerned about your ability to keep your child safe if you insist on maintaining a friendship/relationship with a person who is seen as high risk. The expectation is that you are protective of your child.

It may be helpful for you to have a discussion with the social worker about their concerns. The fact that your friend is on an IPP sentence suggests that there were significant concerns about him at the time. Ask about his sentence and the offence he committed as you may not have all the details from him. Once you have more information you will be able to decide how you proceed.

I hope you find this helpful, and should you wish to speak to an adviser you can telephone our free confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays). If you have any further questions you can post again.

Best wishes

Suzie

JKJH33

Post by JKJH33 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:42 am

Thank you for your response.
I met him while he was in mental health hospital, then he was send back to the prison.
The crime he committed it was 20 years ago, after that he never commited any more violent crimes.
But my question is why I can not talk to him even on the phone as just a support. It has nothing to do with my child.

JKJH33

Post by JKJH33 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:47 am

The crimes he commited it was roberry and one case it was that he kidnapped women, but all this was 20years ago, and as soon as he was up for Parole , his probation manager refered me to the social services, first social service spoke with me and said that there is no need for social services involvement because he was never a risk to children, later his probation manager changed and then again she was pushing and pushing towards social services and then ahain they started talking and saying that social services concern because the new probation stated that we are in relationship, which is not true and never said this…

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:12 am

Dear JKJH33,

Thank you for your response.

I am not clear from your post whether this person is being released on parole.

In any case, I would refer you to my advice above and encourage you to speak to the social worker about why they think their involvement is necessary. It is clear they see this person as a risk to your child, and this may be based on an association, regardless of whether you are in a relationship or not.

Best wishes,

Suzie.