Supervised contact given to me

mixitupp

Supervised contact given to me

Post by mixitupp » Wed May 31, 2023 10:13 am

Hi there my son 11 year old was placed with his grandmother because of one argument not between me but my 19 year old daughter my partners step daughter she threw water on him to wake him up it was early and he just reacted they say there has been DV which there hasn't. The court has given me supervised contact I was not involved they have stated on report mother's mental health poses risk I am stable and have been for over 13 years I have given proof from my GP they have discriminated me and the guardian has reduced my supervised contact again surely this is not right as I pose no risk to my son. It's absolutely appalling how they have tried to make me the problem I'm going to take them to court for discrimination I only can see him twice a week and one telephone call supervised it's absolutely unjust. What can I do to get unsupervised contact they just tell me I have to wait another 2 months I will literally die from being separated from my son who also wants to see me and spend as much time as he can with me! Why is the guardian reducing contact?

mixitupp

Re: Supervised contact given to me

Post by mixitupp » Wed May 31, 2023 10:34 am

I have never heard of this before how can they stop my son seeing me it's absolutely disgusting disgraceful and because of lies told about my mental health I'm suggesting this is there reason and it's unjust as my partner has had to move out because of risk of loosing my son

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Supervised contact given to me

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:32 pm

Dear Mixitupp

Welcome to the parents’ discussion board and thank you for your post. My name is Suzie. I am Family Rights Group’s online adviser. I am sorry that I was not able to respond to your post sooner. I am also sorry to hear about the difficulties that you and your family are experiencing. I can see how distressing it is for you and your son to be separated from each other. I understand that you love him very much.

You are unhappy with the current arrangements for you to see your son. You are supervised when you see him. There has been a recent reduction in the frequency of your visits with him. You have been told this will be reviewed in 2 months time. You really want to move to having unsupervised contact with your son.

From the information you have provided, I think that you are in care proceedings. Your son is probably under an interim care order. He may be placed with a foster carer, perhaps a kinship foster carer? If this is the case, then it is the courts and children’s services who make the final decisions about contact not the carer.

The solicitor who is representing you in the court case will be able to give you specific legal advice about contact as well as other aspects of your case.

Your son will also have an Independent Reviewing Officer. They are responsible for chairing your son’s Looked After Child Review meetings. They also oversee your son’s care plans.

Therefore, there are a few things that I would suggest that you consider doing:

1) Email your son’s social worker and ask them to let you know, in writing, why your time with your son has been reduced.

2) Also ask your social worker to let you know what they would like you to do differently or to start doing so that your contact can be more frequent or potentially be unsupervised. However, it is usual practice for parents to be supervised when there is a temporary care order for their child.

3) You can copy the social worker’s manager and the IRO in, for information.

4) Email your solicitor and let them know that you are unhappy with the current contact arrangements. Ask their legal advice about this. It may be best to do this when you have had a response from Children’s Services. Your solicitor could also check with the Guardian via their solicitor their recommendations for what you could do to move things forward.

5) Find out, from the social worker, when your son’s LAC review is and prepare for that. Think of how you can show any progress that you have made.

The main concerns seem to be that you have experienced domestic abuse and that this has harmed your son. And that you may have mental health difficulties that impact on your son too. The worry may be that your son is being harmed emotionally. I can see that you strongly dispute this. Even when you disagree, it is important that you take on board professionals’ concerns and engage with support around these issues. This is the best way to be able to demonstrate that you can care for your son safely. Please see these links to further advice about domestic abuse and adult mental ill health.

I can understand that this situation is difficult and is emotionally very demanding. There are a number of organisation that you can contact if you need any emotional support or as a parent. Your GP is always a good first point of contact. Please see the following links to useful services. I hope they are helpful:

Parenting and families
Mental health
Domestic abuse.

I hope this helps.

If you need any further advice, please post back. Alternatively you can contact the advice service in one on the following ways:

• By calling our freephone advice line on 0808 8010366, the lines are open from 9.30 am to 3.00 pm, Mon to Fri (except bank holidays).
• Asking question on our advice enquiry form.
• Using our webchat service.

With best wishes

Suzie