Update

Pinkstar

Update

Post by Pinkstar » Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:10 am

So I spoke to my social worker and she said she’s just carrying out the initial assessment to evaluate if my children are at harm, I asked her if she thinks my daughter is at harm an she said yes, even though my daughter told her she’s not scared or has no problems etc. the social worker said because of the previous cases from 2018-2019 there were 2 incidents she said she really does think my children are at risk especially to emotional harm which I get. But I feel as if she’s making out im a bad mum when i know im not, my children have so much love and if anything are way too spoilt. Im scared for the outcome, im happy to work with her but im so scared they will take my children off me when I know I am a good mum.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Update

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:38 pm

Dear Pinkstar

Thank you for your updating post.

The social worker has now confirmed the assessment to be done and I suggest that you do your best to work positively with the social worker. Honesty and openness is important when an assessment is being carried out.

Whilst the assessment is being completed you will have a better understanding of the concerns children’s services has relating to your children’s emotional wellbeing. Research shows that children are adversely affected if they in an environment where domestic abuse is a feature. They are affected whether they see the abuse or not. You mention that your daughter has said she is not scared and there is no problem, but this will not be taken to mean she or they are not suffering emotional harm. It is possible your children have developed a coping mechanism.

You are very worried that your children may be removed from your care. At this point, I do not think children’s services are considering this. There does not appear to be concerns of immediate risk of harm as, if that were the case, the police would have been able to remove your children from your care. Children’s services cannot do so without your consent or a court order.

Once the assessment is completed you will know whether children’s services are going to offer support to the family or what further action if any is needed. It is not about labelling you as a bad mother but ensuring that your children are living in a safe environment.

You may find it helpful to read the information HERE about the procedures children’s services follow when they become involved with a family. This GUIDE is about working with social workers.

Hope this is helpful. Should you wish to speak to an adviser you can telephone our free confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday (except Bank Holidays).

Best wishes

Suzie

Pinkstar

Post by Pinkstar » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:32 pm

Hi what assessment is it as I asked a she didn’t state if it was a 47 or anything ?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:29 pm

Dear Pinkstar

Thank you for your post, it is likely to be a Section 47 assessment. This is a child protection assessment (the social worker may have used different terminology for example CP enquiry/assessment).

I would suggest, for clarity, you go back to the social worker in writing to ask them to clarify what assessment they are or have undertaken. It would be a good idea to ask for a written response. I have added some information HERE regarding the child protection process that I hope you find helpful.

Best wishes, Suzie