Care proceedings

RubyYork

Care proceedings

Post by RubyYork » Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:04 pm

To cut a long story short my stepdaughter and her partner are having a baby, they have split up. Social services are involved due to substance abuse on both parts. Me and her father have been asked to be assessed as carers for the baby ( she is 25 weeks pregnant). They are wanting to come and do a home assessment but as it stands we are between accomodation, just in a converted garage while we await a house. What do social services look for when doing a home visit? Obviously it's not an ideal situation but it's homely inside and warm and safe. Would this stop us being considered? And if we can get somewhere say in two months could we be re considered?

What are timescales for deciding if the baby will be taken away from her? Her boyfriend doesn't seem that interested as obviously he would be second choice for custody.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Care proceedings

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:39 am

Dear RubyYork

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Board.

Here is information from our website about assessments of kinship carers, you may want to let the social worker know where you will be living and offer them a date to revisit you in your new home when it is ready.

In relation to removal of a child – if this is to happen, it cannot happen until a child is born. Here is some information for parents to be, from our website which you may find helpful. Here too is information about care proceedings.

For your information we have a forum for Kinship Carers where you may find tips, advice and support from other kinship carers. Here is a link to that forum.

We also have a confidential telephone advice line service where you can speak to one of our advisers between the hours of 9.30am to 3.00pm, Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays). The telephone number is 0808 801 0366.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie