SS wanting to investigate abuse 3 years later

NLD77

SS wanting to investigate abuse 3 years later

Post by NLD77 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:36 am

Hi I'm new here.
I have 4 children. The three eldest all have ASD diagnosed. Almost 3 years ago, I found out my eldest son was touching his brother inappropriately (he was 13 at the time). When I found out, not knowing what to do about it or how to protect the youngest (then 8), i reported it to the police and social services. A social worker came out and asked the youngest if it had happened and he nodded (this is documented), but didn't say anything more. This was during covid times. Social services did nothing. It was not acted upon at all. Fast forward a couple of years and we were put on CP because the eldest son and my eldest daughter were having trouble accessing school. The abuse made it onto the plan because it had not been addressed. I have been pushing for the boys to get some sort of support/counselling to deal with it. But SS have now decided to open an investigation into it. Which will obviously mean talking to them both about it. Both boys, especially the eldest, have been treated awfully by the education system and have emotional dysregulation, anger, etc, as well as being ASD. The youngest son has only just started to settle at school, and the eldest has just managed to secure a school hes vaguely happy at after 5 years. I feel that SS are only doing this to get it ticked off on the CP plan, and not looking at the bigger picture at all. Why would they now be looking into it, nearly 3 years later?? Is it just a tick box exercise? Are they going to go for a care order? Im extremely worried for their welfare. They need protection from the very service that should have protected them in the first place.

NLD77

Re: SS wanting to investigate abuse 3 years later

Post by NLD77 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:06 pm

Anyone?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:22 am

Dear NLD77

Welcome to the board and thank you for your post. My name is Suzie, I am an online advisor and will be responding to you today.

Three of your children have a diagnosis of Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD). Three years ago, one of your children disclosed to you that your eldest child was inappropriately touching him. You contacted children’s services for support. Your children were seen by a social worker but no further action was taken.

Your children are now placed on a child protection plan due to what you say is ‘trouble accessing school.’ Part of this plan will address the incident(s) of inappropriate touching as professionals felt it was not dealt with properly at the time. This concerns you, given the length of time passed. You are worried about the impact this may have on your children now. After a struggle to find them suitable schools to meet their needs, they are now settling into them, and you are worried that addressing this issue now will unsettle them and negatively impact on their emotional wellbeing. Your concern is that children’s services are carrying out a ‘tick box’ exercise regarding this and you are ‘extremely worried’ about their welfare. Further, that children’s services will escalate the matter to care proceedings with an eventual care order.

I am sorry to hear of your distress and frustrations regarding your situation. I hope the information provided is helpful to you.

Children’s services should have thoroughly assessed the situation at the time and if concerns remain then they need to be assessed now and included in the child protection plan. You say they visited the children at the time and spoke to them. What was the outcome of this? Was an assessment completed? If so, you should have received a copy. If one was completed and you did not receive a copy, then I suggest you go back to children’s services to ask for one.

Three of your children have additional needs. It is likely to be a difficult and delicate task to discuss and assess something that happened three years ago. It will be important for children’s services to work with you and their schools to ascertain how best to engage each child to avoid further distress to them. I have added a link HERE to our guide when working with social workers.

I cannot say whether children’s services will escalate to care proceedings but would encourage you to work with them in the best interest of your children. Children’s services cannot remove children without a Court Order in place. The police, using their police powers can remove your children in an emergency situation for up to 72 hours. Please see further information HERE . If children’s services then decide that the matter needs to be put before the court they may apply for an emergency protection order (epo), initiate care proceedings or ask you to agree to sign a Section 20.

I have added some further information HERE regarding the Public Law Outline (often referred to as PLO). This is a framework children’s services use when managing care proceedings. I have also added information HERE regarding care proceedings and HERE regarding Section 20 agreements.

I hope you find this information useful.  Should you wish to speak to an adviser please call our free advice line again on 0808 801 0366 (Mon to Fri 9.30a.m. – 3.00p.m) excluding bank holidays. Or of course, you can post again on here.

Best wishes, Suzie

benion

Post by benion » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:51 am

I am sorry to hear that you are so frightened that you think SS might be going in for a care order.

My experience of SS is that they are plain speaking. If they were thinking of elevating the case to PLO or instigating care proceedings, they would probably have told you.

I agree with your first remark that this has become a "tick box exercise". Now things have been elevated to a CPP, it is important that every angle is examined and this is all it is.

Please remember that a CPP is all about keeping children safe with the birth family. The vast majority of CP cases get closed and do not escalate to care proceedings.

Please continue to work with SS in an open and honest fashion. It is not easy dealing with them, but in time the case will get closed!