Accused of NAI

AnonymousMum

Accused of NAI

Post by AnonymousMum » Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:24 pm

Can anyone tell me how to go about getting second opinions on medical reports before the fact finding hearing?
I have been accused of NAI to my daughter, but I believe that she may have a medical condition that may have contributed to her alleged injuries. Nobody is taking me seriously.

My daughter is subject to an ICO and is with foster carers. She was only 8 weeks old when she was taken from me, and I am desperately worried that she may be suffering and nobody cares.

I just feel fobbed off every time I ask social workers, they just say "it's in the medical report" I have never been spoken to by a Dr regarding her injuries, no medical professional has ever asked me my opinion on how they could have been caused, only a SW, who just says "I am not a Dr, I don't know" and says that the experts will decide at fact finding. I don't know the date of this yet, but it will be next year now and I cannot bear the thought that my daughter could be poorly and nobody is looking into this.

I have asked the SW to get me her medical records and they just state they cannot. She stayed in the hospital for over a week and each time I tried to talk to a Dr about it, they said they could not tell me anything. I'm at my wits end. They have decided it was abuse without having all the facts and are refusing to look into any other possibilities. I have not hurt my baby and never would, I'm so frightened I am going to lose her. Please help x

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Accused of NAI

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:44 am

Dear Anonymousmum,

Welcome to the parents forum and thank you for your post. I am sorry to hear about the distressing situation that you are in and I hope that the following advice is of some help to you.

You ask for advice about getting a second opinion from a medical professional. Have you got a solicitor representing you? It would be a good idea to discuss this with them and ask them to make this request on your behalf. You solicitor is the best person for you to explore all possibilities with and to help you prepare for the different court hearings. In situations where there is an unexplained injury to a non-mobile baby it is not unusual for a parent to request a second opinion from a medical professional so I would encourage you to discuss this with your solicitor. In our top tips and templates section you will find ‘tips for working with your solicitor’ which may help you.

We also have some information about children’s services involvement when there is concern about a non-accidental injury HERE. There is also useful information on the child protection resource website about what happens when a child has been hurt HERE and HERE.

You may also want to look at this blog Parents’ Accused which offers advice to parents involved in cases of non-accidental injury.

We have comprehensive information on our website HERE for parents who are involved in care proceedings, including information about contact arrangements whilst care proceedings are in place.

I hope that you are getting some emotional support during this extremely difficult time. It may be a good idea to speak with your GP about getting referred for some talking therapy in your area. You can also access support through Supportline who offer confidential emotional support on the phone (01708 765 200), and the charity MATCH mothers provides emotional support to mothers who are apart from their children (0800 689 4104.

I hope that the above has been of some help. If you would like any further advice then you can either post here again or call our free, confidential helpline on 0808 801 0366 (Monday to Friday, 9:30am – 3pm) to speak with an adviser.

Best wishes,
Suzie

GFK89

Post by GFK89 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:26 pm

Im not sure how this was legal to not tell you anything? I was informed by nurses that even with an ICO you still have parental responsibility even if it is shared and therefore you are absolutely entitled to your childs medical records. Its absolutely horrifying that drs and social workers told you otherwise. Infact one of my social workers told me i could view her medical records including the child protection medical forms as its to do with my daughter so why wouldn't i have the right to?

Please tell me you got a solicitor. This is very shady behaviour from the professionals and very worrying. A solicitor would be able to get all documents, even just random notes to do with your child made my staff. All emails etc.

Considering there are illnesses out there that are causing these NAI accusations such as ehlers danlos etc they should be taking you seriously.

Your social worker should have given you a list of solicitors who practice family law back when you were first accused so you can be properly represented. It would have been free as well as youre the one accused.

If they did not inform you of these things it may be worth looking into this with a solicitor on whether they have gone through the proper steps with you. I would say however dont make complaints and things to social services. Its terrifying to know this but even CAB told me I can make an official complaint but i need to consider the implications to my case it I make waves. They were right. If you make complaints etc you get called a risk to your child because youre acting hostile towards the local authority. Despite just trying to straighten out comokete falsehoods in the paperwork. which is really scary to consider the level of corruption in that respect within the LA, but its the unfortunate truth. So we made no complaints. We had complete lies told about us in court - I dont think it was done on purpose. I assume the social worker got her notes confused with other cases as she had dates and even my childs name wrong in some areas. But we just held our tongue. You should absolutely fight for your child but do it in a way thats through a solicitor. Not you. Otherwise you will regret it. I wish you the absolute best of luck.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:21 am

Dear GFK89

Welcome back to the parents’ discussion board. Thank you for your post. My name is Suzie. I am Family Rights Group’s online adviser.

I am very sorry to hear of the difficulties that you and your family have experienced. You have posted to offer support and advice to another parent going through a similar situation.

I just wanted to note, for the benefit of other parents, that there can be situations when a complaint is necessary and justified. Please see our advice on complaints here. When there are ongoing court proceedings, however, it is always advisable for a parent to discuss whether or not to make a complaint with their solicitor first. A complaint will not usually consider matters decided upon in court, however. Children services may decide not to look at the complaint if the same issue will be investigated and decided by the court. The best way to challenge errors in social worker’s evidence is via a solicitor, during the court proceedings.

I hope this is useful.

Best wishes

Suzie