Expecting new baby after closed CIN

Karr54321

Expecting new baby after closed CIN

Post by Karr54321 » Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:20 pm

Hiya, back in 2020, SS got involved with our family when my partner was arrested on suspicion of possession of IIOC. My daughter was only 4 weeks old when he was arrested. The case was eventually dropped as no evidence was found. During the investigation my daughter was placed on a CIN and was kept on it for a further 10 months. They removed the CIN in march 2021 and closed the case. Since then my partner and I have attended counselling and worked on rebuilding our relationship and family.

I have recently found out that I am pregnant with our second child but I'm worried that everything will be pulled up from the past when we've worked so hard to move on from it. Will SS want to assess us again? Will they want to get involved with our newborn because of my daughter's previous CIN? Any advice would be really helpful.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Expecting new baby after closed CIN

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:34 am

Dear Karr54321,

Welcome to the parents' board and thank you for your post.

You say that in 2020, children's services became involved with your family when your partner was arrested on suspicion of possession of indecent images of children. Your daughter was 4 weeks old at the time. The case was resulted in no further action. Your daughter was placed on a child in need plan for 10 months, and this was closed in March 2021. You have recently found out that you are pregnant, and would like to know whether children's services will become involved again.

Due to your partner's previous arrest, it is likely that children's services will want to complete a pre-birth assessment of your new pregnancy. You can read more about to expect from a pre-birth assessment here. At the end of this assessment, the social worker will make a recommendation as to whether they need to continue to stay involved. Just because your daughter was previously subject to a child in need plan, this does not necessarily mean this will be the case with your unborn child. The social worker will analyse the current levels of risk and how this is going to be managed; if they are satisfied that you are able to safely care for both children, they may not see a role for children's services. Other outcomes of a pre-birth assessment include a referral to early help; a child in need plan or a child protection plan.

I hope you have found this helpful.

Best wishes,

Suzie,