Husband removed from family home after conference

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Husband removed from family home after conference

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:57 pm

Mumtobe2024 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:17 am I’m also going through hell thanks to social services. I’ve been with my husband for 7 years. He texted a girl under 16 inciting sex when he was 19, he is now 36 and no crimes have been committed since. They never even made assessments of us before issuing a PLO letter, when we have been compliant all along and only wanted to work with them regarding our unborn baby.

The letter says to avoid going to court, I must only allow him supervised contact. I’m really hoping that I can act as ‘supervision’ as we can live together like a normal family.
Dear Mumtobe2024

Welcome to Family Rights Group parents’ discussion forum and thank you for posting.

My name is Suzie, online adviser at Family Rights Group and will respond to your post. I am sorry that you feel that you are ‘going through hell’ due to children’s ser-vices (the new name for social services) involvement with you and your husband.

You mention that your husband of 7 years committed a crime at 19 which involved inciting sex with a child under 16. However, it is not mentioned whether he was convicted or placed on the sex offenders’ register at the time.

It is surprising that children’s services issued a PLO (public law outline) letter with-out carrying out any kind of assessment. Is it the case that, although you state that you have been compliant and wanted to work with children’s services that they have taken the view that you are not able to work with professionals. Do you have any other children living with you about whom children’s services may have concerns and suggest supervised contact? Sometimes children’s services will require this whilst they carry out an assessment.

Unfortunately, you do not say what you and your husband has been asked to do or how far into your pregnancy you are now. Was there a safety plan or agreement and did anything happen to cause concern.

From the thread you have posted on it seems that you had a child protection conference and it likely to be failure to work with the plan that children' services have issued a PLO letter.

Normally, when children’s services receive a referral, a decision will be made regarding the way the case will be dealt that is, what assessment will be done. As you are pregnant a pre-birth assessment would be done, and unborn baby placed on a child in need or child protection plan. If it is considered that the expectant parents are not engaging or cooperating with the process, children’s services might decision to go down the PLO (pre proceedings) route. As you have been given a PLO letter, I suggest you and your husband to find different solicitors to attend the meeting with you. The letter you received from children’s services may have provided a list of solicitors but if you prefer to choose your solicitor you could ask family or friends to recommend one or you can visit the Law Society’s website, find a solicitor to do so.

If you wish to be considered as able to safely supervise contact, then you will need to illustrate to children’s services that you are a protective parent. You may find it helpful to contact the Lucy Faithfull Foundation on 0808 100 0900 as they offer advice to both the offending and non-offending person where there has been sexual offending. You can also read information on the website parents protect .

Whether or not you and your husband continue to live together will depend on the outcome of any risk assessment that children’s services carry out.

I hope you find this helpful but should you wish to speak to an adviser you can telephone our free confidential advice line on 0808 802 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3.00pm Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays)

Best wishes

Suzie

Mumtobe2024

Post by Mumtobe2024 » Mon May 06, 2024 5:14 pm

Thankyou Suzie. Nothing else happened to cause concern.. no safety plans were made or anything as we didn’t hear from anyone for over a month. They issued the PLO when I was 33 weeks pregnant; meaning it’s been an extremely stressful time of assessments.

On the PLO letter, it states ‘to stop this going to court you must not allow unsupervised contact’ but doesn’t state a time frame. Do you know how long they’re expecting this to be? I’ve drawn out a safety plan saying when baby is born I will move in with my parents for 12 weeks and allow supervised contact for the dad, but I’m hoping after this we can work towards moving in together again as a family unit. Hopefully my assessments come back as protective.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri May 10, 2024 10:37 am

Dear Mumtobe2024,

Thank you for your reply. I am sorry to hear of the stress you are experiencing.

Whether or not children's services endorse a move to unsupervised contact may depend on a number of factors, including the outcome of any risk assessments and the extent to which you work with services. Your baby's safety will always be the top priority in any decision-making. It would be reasonable for your partner to ask children's services to clarify what outcomes they will base any recommendations on contact around.

Best wishes,

Suzie.