Mental Health Issues

KatKat10

Mental Health Issues

Post by KatKat10 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:25 am

So after the LA trying to imply I have a cognitive issues, which has been disproved by my psychological assessment, they are now trying to imply I have mental Health Issues. How can the LA present this to the court for an interim care order if there is not any official diagnosis of mental health issues? There is a record from my GP where I mentioned mental health, but I have not undergone any official assessment or medical diagnosis. Mental Health is such a wide scope, any individual can claim that xyz affects their mental health etc, but this does not mean an individual has mental health issues.

KatKat10

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Mental Health Issues

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:03 pm

Dear KatKat10

Thank you for your further post.

It is good to see that you had a positive psychological assessment indicating that you have no cognitive issues.

You say that children’s services are now suggesting that you have mental health issues although you have no diagnosis of a mental health condition. It is difficult to say why a social worker or other professional working with you may have this view but it could be because of how you present in meetings with them.

If there are no mental health issues, then your GP can confirm this but it may be that you mentioned difficulties with your mental health for whatever reason and this is why it is now being suggested that you have issues with your mental health. In the same way that the psychological assessment concluded that you have no cognitive issues a psychiatric assessment is likely to have the same outcome or, as stated above your doctor can respond to this to children’s services.

Since I have no knowledge of your circumstances it may best for you to discuss this with your GP. You could also ask children’s services to explain why they have this view of you.

Best wishes

Suzie

KatKat10

Post by KatKat10 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:29 am

Thank you Suzie for your response.

The LA have my medical records and can see there is not a history of mental health issues.

You mentioned that the LA may have issues with my presentation, what does this mean? The way I dress? I am always polite in meetings and in my correspondence and my dialogue. I may have been tearful on occasions, but this does not mean I have mental health issues, if I am showing emotion due to circumstances.

Unfortunately my assigned social worker is not responding to any correspondence at the moment, to myself or other professionals.

KatKat10

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:56 pm

Dear KatKat10

Thank you for posting, yes, you are correct Suzie was not referring to dress or communication style.

What they were suggesting is that sometimes when a person appears or presents as (very) emotional to professionals, this can cause concern: you have said that this is not the case for you.

And again, you are correct when you say that being emotional or tearful on occasions does not indicate that a person has mental health issues.

The National Health Service has some general definitions about feelings, here is a link to their site, perhaps it may be helpful to you or others on the Forum.

Best wishes

Suzie

KatKat10

Post by KatKat10 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:00 pm

Thank you Suzie,

That link was very useful and has really helpful advice.

KK10