Help

Smarie87

Help

Post by Smarie87 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:14 am

Hi, my children are subject to full care orders due to neglect and misuse of drugs and alcohol. Me and my partner are wanting to go back to court when we have made significant changes to help us get our children back. My partner and I are getting help for drugs and alcohol and now looking into parenting courses which are court or caffcass approved. We have asked the social worker on what we can do and they seem to avoid the question so now looking for help on what we can do. The full care orders was only made this year in August but we want to do as much work and courses as possible before we can ask for the orders to be discharged is there any help or advice you can give us please.

Uska

Re: Help

Post by Uska » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:40 pm

Hello,

It is very positive that you are trying to make significant changes so that you can get your children back.

I would recommend that you go through all the evidence (statements) which the social workers and guardian sent to court and list all the concerns that they named.

Then, make a plan how you can address each concern.

For example,

Neglect - parenting course
Alcohol & drugs - alcohol & drug services
Mental health problems - GP, mental health charity, self-help groups

etc.

I would then google what is available in the authority where you live, eg. mental health support Newport, and given them a call and ask for support. I am sure that when you make a list and show it to any professional such as an alcohol and drug worker, they will be able to signpost you to appropriate services. Each local authority also has a family service/Early Help support - you can give them a call and ask where to get support.

In terms of what is court/cafcass approved - there is no such thing - court and cafcass will recognise even support provided by charities, self-help organisations etc but it is important that you can provide concrete evidence of you addressing the issue, ie. a report from a suitable person within the organisation/assessment/treatment plan/final assessment which you can then show to social services/court.

It is very important that you seek support even for the issues which were listed within the court statements but you disagree with.

Your children have been already removed so what is important is not to try to minimise/hide any potential problems you and your partner have when you work with the services - tell them the truth so they can fully support you - social services/court will see this as a strength and not weakness.