Disability

QuestionMark

Disability

Post by QuestionMark » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:29 am

Hi,

Basically I recently found out that I had dyslexia and dyscalculia. I was given an intelligence test and overall I’m average (101) but my working memory is incredibly low at 89. I’ve asked follow up questions to this as I’m concerned this may be connected to the trauma I’m experienced previously.

I got this assessment 8 months after court finished. But everything I’ve now found out about myself has taken me back to how I was treated in court. The social worker mocked me when I said I couldn’t remember having conversations she claimed had taken place, and I felt confused and gaslighted as I couldn’t tell if she was lying or if conversations had happened and I just couldn’t remember. Turns out I have terrible working memory.

In addition, I was mocked for my poorly written statements in which I struggled to explain myself. And when I did articulate myself well on the stand, explaining what I’ve learnt from courses etc, I was accused of paying lip service as I had failed to explain myself well previously in writing. It turns out, this is due to my dyslexia!

Is there anything I can do about this? Any route I can take to at least make the social worker or her manager aware of what she’s done so this doesn’t happen to another? Do they do retrials when new information comes out? I feel like I was at a severe disadvantage during the proceedings

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Disability

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:01 pm

Dear QuestionMark

Thanks for posting.

I see from your post that you have now had diagnoses relating to your cognitive functioning. You are dyslexic with dyscalculia. In addition, you have learned that you have poor working memory.

As a result of the assessments you have had you believe that the conditions identified may have had a significant impact on your functioning during your involvement with children’s services and during the court proceedings.

If it is the case that there was concern about your cognitive functioning during the care proceedings, it would have led to you being asked to undergo a psychological assessment. Did you have one? In your case it seems that your intelligence was not in question which may be the reason it may not have been considered necessary at the time.

Unfortunately, I do not think there would be a retrial of the case because the issues relating to your ability to safeguard your children would have been the important issue at the time. The fact that you have now learned more about yourself might not affect this. Also, you refer to writing statements, but normally this would be done by the solicitor representing you based on the instructions you provide. Should you wish to pursue this, then I suggest you seek advice from a solicitor.

If you want it to be recorded on your children’s case file with children’s services, it may be that you can provide information to children’s services and ask for it to be added to the records.

Unfortunately, I think it maybe that parental needs may surface long after court proceeding have ended but this does not changes the needs of the child or children. As stated above, if you wish to pursue this further seek advice from a solicitor. I am not able to advise further on the issues that you have raised and it maybe it you believe you were disadvantaged that you can seek advice from the Equality Advisory Support Service (EASS) on 0808 800 0082

Best wishes

Suzie

QuestionMark

Re: Disability

Post by QuestionMark » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:46 am

Thanks for this.

I think my biggest concern is that I had a funding made against me that I was a liar because I kept telling them I couldn’t remember a certain conversation taking place and they didn’t believe me when the reality is that I really can’t remember it